Three questions.....

OK, so I have unsheathed my dragon slaying sword and have entered the Defender Forum for the first time!! :o

I have some questions for you wise folks:

1. How wide are LWB steel rims?

2. What is their offset and,

3. Can you safely run 265 tyres on them?

Ta muchly for your help..

OK, so I have unsheathed my dragon slaying sword and have entered the Defender Forum for the first time!! :o

I have some questions for you wise folks:

1. How wide are LWB steel rims?

2. What is their offset and,

3. Can you safely run 265 tyres on them?

Ta muchly for your help..

1.Standard are 5.5 inches, XD/Wolf are 6.5 inches

2. not sure on standard rims, XD/Wolf rims offset is 20.6mm

3. probably but I reckon 7.00 inch rims would be better [Discovery 1 steel wheels]

I'm running 255/85's on my XD rims

:D

1.Standard are 5.5 inches, XD/Wolf are 6.5 inches

2. not sure on standard rims, XD/Wolf rims offset is 20.6mm

3. probably but I reckon 7.00 inch rims would be better [Discovery 1 steel wheels]

I'm running 255/85's on my XD rims

:D

The rims are 5.5Jx16x33mm, same offset as most LR wheels, except the wolfs.

Probably?? - min recommended width for 265/75R16 is 7", so I rekon 5.5" is pushing it a bit too much, you'd get away with them on 6.5" (eg Wolfs) though. You ain't really supposed to (but you can) fit 235/85R16's to 5.5" rims, recommended min for those is 6".

235/85R16 are fine in practice on std 5.5in rims though insurers might disagree... LR and other mfrs don't recommend it but I know loads of people who use that combination and no problems.

265/75R16 will (might) split around the circumference of the tread if used on 5.5in rims, I have seen a number of BFGs fail in this way if used on the narrow rims

The biggest thing for me is that the std rims are mostly tube type only, apart from the very latest where they have gone to tubeless rims on 2005 model 110s etc, look the same as the old steels but are tubeless

235/85R16 are fine in practice on std 5.5in rims though insurers might disagree... LR and other mfrs don't recommend it but I know loads of people who use that combination and no problems.

265/75R16 will (might) split around the circumference of the tread if used on 5.5in rims, I have seen a number of BFGs fail in this way if used on the narrow rims

The biggest thing for me is that the std rims are mostly tube type only, apart from the very latest where they have gone to tubeless rims on 2005 model 110s etc, look the same as the old steels but are tubeless

Very well put Stephen.........

I have the 235's with tubes on my 110 standard wheels and agree OK in practice although they do look a tad "pinched" for width.........

My hope is to buy Wolf tubless rims......... my original wheels are rusty inside and the rust has caused tube failures thru chafing.......... In the long run i think it would be cheaper to buy new rims than to dismount, clean up, remount and rebalance tires........

to David Lang.........very interesting little diagram there David, says a lot ...........