Advice on 2.5 dse purchase

chrisj

Im new to the forum so first of all Hi

Im looking to buy a range rover 2.5 DSE and im loking for some pointers on things to look out for.

Looking at getting a 97-99 model.

What sort of thing apart from rust in the usual places should i be looking out for?

Alot i have seen state 'bmw engine' is this good or bad?

Thanks all for any advice.

Chris

I have a '96 with the BMW engine and I have found it fine. It's the same engine as in their 325's apparrently. I get good fuel consumption on a steady run ....... 28.9 which was 2 hours of motorway and then 2 hours across A roads back home. In fact I love my P38 and am just waiting to win the lottery so I can buy an all singing all dancing one lol

If it was my money i'd be getting a top spec gassed v8... You can pick them up cheaper, and in my opinion are alot cheaper to run... I get better mpg out of the v8 in cost comparison than any same aged diesels... The extra power is a big bonus too...

I was origionaly looking for a diesel but the tidyest example was a gassed petrol and at better money and i'm really glad thats what i went for... Especially with rising fuel costs...

Daniel

Im new to the forum so first of all Hi

Im looking to buy a range rover 2.5 DSE and im loking for some pointers on things to look out for.

Looking at getting a 97-99 model.

What sort of thing apart from rust in the usual places should i be looking out for?

Alot i have seen state 'bmw engine' is this good or bad?

Thanks all for any advice.

Chris

I'd be inclined to agree with 6cyltdi (Daniel).

IMHO you'd be better off getting a gas converted V8, the running costs will be cheaper, they're faster, they're quieter, there's infinitely miles more torque and low end grunt produced and nowadays you can get a late year one for sweeties.

At least test drive both the petrol and the diesel versions first.....the differences will become apparant instantly and you'll change your mind regarding the diesel...i know i did and that's when diesel was under 80p not the £1.30+ it is nowadays

Paul

alot of diesels have been chipped either way they can be good chips or bad ones the manual is shocking and if you tow with it it is underpowered as well mostthat are for sale will have a few electrical problems as well worth getting one tested and inspected as well before handing over the money

• 1 month later...

I'll certainly have a think about gas converted ones.

What about things like air suspension, electrics and auto gearboxes? any comon faults? in reallity one that i buy is going to nearing the 100000 mile mark.

Thanks

Chris

I'll certainly consider the gas converted ones,thanks for the advice.

What about things like air suspension, electrics, auto gearboxes etc. in reallity one i buy will have covered near the 100000 mile mark.

any comon problems to look for?

Will be viewing some this weekend coming.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Just bought a diesel, good MPG (30) ish horible performance in very rural location, go gas if you can, I looked at a 1999 P38 it required inner sills, looks like they rot too.

Rear door rust problem carefully carried over from classic.

Drivers seat can suffer,

Check ALL electric functions inc heater, if air con doe it blow cold.

Any engine running probs could be injector pump while poor starting with a fuel tank below say 1/4 will be a faulty tank pump !!!

Great r/r but no as good as my old classic.

Just to add to these comments about favouring gas over diesel, one thing I've not seen mentioned is the poor range and loss of a spare wheel (assuming the tank's in the spare wheel well of course).

This was important to me and pushed me towards my first diesel LR of any description, as I use mine exclusively for longer trips and the 500 - 600 mile range (at 30 mpg plus) is really appreciated.

I would make sure it is auto and chipped (most seem to be now) though, else the performance is dire.

As to faults, well check for water loss or other cooling faults, check everything electrical works including the AC, there can be some rust but most late 90's ones seem OK yet. Most of all, make sure it's been looked after properly, as this is a vehicle that will really bite you if maintenance is skimped.

Finally remember that they are cheap and plentiful, so don't buy the first one you see unless it's really good.

Cheers

AWM