Save fuel HHo generator ?

nokiamutt

For the last couple of years I've been providing some safety consultancy to a company who make compact elecrolysers. (Turning distilled water into Hydrogen & Oxygen) They have (among other things) a Ford Focus which runs on pure Hydrogen (petrol engine) and can do 50+ miles on a fill. However, one of their chemists runs a series and we got talking.

He said that they have developed and tested an electrolyser which fits into a car and feeds hydrogen direct into the diesel engine. The mix of a relatively small quantity of hydrogen with the diesel improves the efficiency of the engine significantly. Obviously they are doing it under controlled conditions and their electrolyser has quite a large surface area but ----- they have been working with Land Rover and testing the system on a Range Rover diesel. The electrolyser is driven off the 12V car system. I don't known the full details so please don't ask and I'm bound by a secrecy agreement anyway.

Whilst I'm not over impressed by the lash-ups pictured above or the lack of fully scientific testing, the principle is valid!

The small amount hydrogen improves the combustion efficiency of diesel fuel disproportionately to the energy used to generate it.

Hydrogen in quantity is a very dangerous gas being extremely easy to ignite with a spark and exploding violently if in a confined space. (my work involves flammability and explosion hazards).

C[hem]omical Engineer

BSc, MPhil, CEng, FIChemE

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I been used this HHo gas for many months & have been developing the principle for years.

There are a few modifications that can be done to the build design that will increase the gas output many times.

Every time some one comes close to this modification on the net - their site vanishes - I wonder who does not want this broadcasted ?

I used to run a 7 litre set of jars on My Disco 300 TDi. The savings in fuel were considerable - often up to 45%.

Geee, and you want us to believe that?? I mean the 45% bit.

Did you know that there's 1 MILION DOLLARS prize money for the individual that proves a 25% in fuel savings? Go get the money, the prize is yours!!! Here's were to claim it: http://aardvark.co.nz/hho_challenge.shtml I see there were 5 claims already, so hurry up!

You did well by posting your e-mail address. Easy to find out that you must be the same the same Grant B. with the "Eco Fuel" device some 5 years ago. I will let you post the details if someone's interested.

Here's the 1st company I hear that used to sell this HHO devices that admits it's a fraud and closes its business (at least its HHO part of it).

Here's what their website says now: http://www.octafuel.com/ (OctaFuel is the device's brand name).

Here is what is used to say: old www.octafuel.com

For further browsing of the old site check what google cached from it: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q...%3Aoctafuel.com (use only the Cached links).

Who will be next? :lol:

Geee, and you want us to believe that?? I mean the 45% bit.

Did you know that there's 1 MILION DOLLARS prize money for the individual that proves a 25% in fuel savings? Go get the money, the prize is yours!!! Here's were to claim it: http://aardvark.co.nz/hho_challenge.shtml I see there were 5 claims already, so hurry up!

You did well by posting your e-mail address. Easy to find out that you must be the same the same Grant B. with the "Eco Fuel" device some 5 years ago. I will let you post the details if someone's interested.

1 million Dollars. . . .sounds excellent . . . . . But i think the engine is meant to survive & not be reduced to an oil burning, polluting wreck.

The only problem with HHo that I found, is massive engine damage.

Yes I was responsible for ECO-Fuel & it was about 5 years ago.

Eco Fuel is still an On-Going project, but needs sensible funding to progress at any rate, currently work is done as a hobby.

It did create a media flap for a while.

Re HHo:

From one of my Discovery's I got 211 miles from a measured amount of fuel, with a 7Litre HHO gas unit with transverse windings I got 324 miles for the same diesel amount & doing the same route @ the same times of day - mostly at about 70mph 3,000rpm, feathering the throttle.

However, the engine damage was such that less than 5,000 miles later, it would never pass another MOT due to the piston, ring, liner, injector & valve damage and then burning engine oil as a result.

To be sure, the same HHo gas unit was retro fitted into a diesel Citroen Xantia & similar engine damage resulted.

Another problem I found with HHo, is the electrical power requirement is beyond the alternator output of most engines to produce a useful amount of gas & not destroy the alternator.

If you are going to draw some 40>50 Amps, you need an alternator that is rated at 100 Amps minimum or it won't last long. Fortunately Landrover produce one that's also cheap.

When we had ECO-FUEL operating viably years ago, we had some success splitting hydrogen from water & running small engines on it as the sole fuel. We used some fancy lubricants, grossly over cooled the engines & made drastic changes to ignition timing, with good success.

Costs of lubricants generally offset the fuel savings, but things like lubricants & ideas since have progressed in the last 5 years.

To continue this work properly, it needed a bundle of cash thrown at it - cash is short these days & searching for development funding is often as expensive as the funding you'd eventually recieve . . . therefore a pointless excercise trying to getting funding.

Unfortunately, garden shed inventors simply do not have the time/budget/cash etc to make much headway . . . . and if they did make some revolutionary developments & tried to publish it, you can bet that some one/organisation would stop them.

The other problem is that most of the simple problems have been solved & advancements nowdays seam to require more technology - technology costs money - we got none in the UK.

For the UK, unfortunately, Tax & Fuel Duty is the only thing keeping us afloat, as Britain is effectively bankrupt. . . . so we have no chance of publishing startling results from some ones inventions.

Enough of politics.

Meanwhile, the fuel saving topics are still a favorite hobby.

My lashup of the above item was just an attempt at the beggining of my development , i have since been through many varied designs and capacities .

The only reason i posted the informaton on this forum was to see if there were any others with opinions on this idea regarding landrover .

I have had nothing but savings from my final design but the only drawback is that i do somuch offroad including pay and play days that i cant make a system that is robust enough without having to use the washer /plate /laminate cell design ,which all require exessive maintenance .

So i would like to thank all for their varied input .