steering box options

seems like i need to replace my sterreing box once a year.

would like a more permanent solution that can cope with competition use.

what are my options? heard the units from a disco II/p38 may be stronger.

has anyone fitted a box from a g wagon/toyota/GM? these seem to last a lot longer than the land rover boxes.

then ram assist may also be an option, but not sure whether thats suitable for high speed events?

cheers

spec

seems like i need to replace my sterreing box once a year.

would like a more permanent solution that can cope with competition use.

what are my options? heard the units from a disco II/p38 may be stronger.

has anyone fitted a box from a g wagon/toyota/GM? these seem to last a lot longer than the land rover boxes.

then ram assist may also be an option, but not sure whether thats suitable for high speed events?

cheers

spec

Ram assist will be fine as long as you get a pump with an output that is high enough. We run about 3 turns lock to lock (and reasonable lock) and you can't go faster than the hydraulics but we have a monstrous pump!

You will, however, get a different steering feel with hydraulic assist.

Tim

kind of wary of the different steering feel with ram assist.

also use the truck for rallyes, high speed events

how would you describe the different feel, more direct?

I'm still getting used to it! I like to think it contributed in part to my recent roll at Manby. :blink:

We have a Saginaw 4 bolt box and a double ended ram on the axle that also serves as the track rod.

It is very direct and precise but with very little feed back. You have to keep a grip and point it exactly where you want it and then turn it back to centre. The ram acts as a very powerful damper and does reduce the self centering characteristics.

But it does mean turning biggish tyres at low pressures in deep mud standing on the nose is really easy! :lol:

Tim

I'm still getting used to it! I like to think it contributed in part to my recent roll at Manby. :blink:

We have a Saginaw 4 bolt box and a double ended ram on the axle that also serves as the track rod.

It is very direct and precise but with very little feed back. You have to keep a grip and point it exactly where you want it and then turn it back to centre. The ram acts as a very powerful damper and does reduce the self centering characteristics.

But it does mean turning biggish tyres at low pressures in deep mud standing on the nose is really easy! :lol:

Tim

tbh, sounds a bit scary for high speed events

the saginaw box you use, you think it lasts longer than the rover boxes?

what kind is it?

tbh, sounds a bit scary for high speed events

the saginaw box you use, you think it lasts longer than the rover boxes?

what kind is it?

Saginaw 4 bolt inside frame LHD, running outside on RH side of frame, becomes RHD.

Built up by Howe. Supposed to be very good but time will tell!

Tim

Back to the original question about DiscoII / P38 boxes - firstly they are from different manufacturers DiscoII is Adwest, P38 is ZF (I think but may be wrong).

Comparing Adewst Disco II to Adwest Defender / RR / Disco I it is bigger and stronger - the sector shaft is thicker so it should be better.

Sorry don't know about the P38 box. :(

Back to the original question about DiscoII / P38 boxes - firstly they are from different manufacturers DiscoII is Adwest, P38 is ZF (I think but may be wrong).

Comparing Adewst Disco II to Adwest Defender / RR / Disco I it is bigger and stronger - the sector shaft is thicker so it should be better.

Sorry don't know about the P38 box. :(

sounds interesting, especially the zf box

will have a look whether it can be made to fit to a defender

anybody knows what steering box the bowler wildcats use? they use disco II axles afaik