Bulkhead Removal Bar

Monster

hi Guys,

I see these being fitted to a 90/110 but just wondered if anyone had tried to fit one to a series landrover, and if at that, to a lightweight?

I see there are several manufacturers out there, P&P, North offroad.

Anybody had good/bad experience with either? Do they do what they are designed for? Seems alot of money for what it is!

Has anyone tried to make their own?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers.

hi Guys,

I see these being fitted to a 90/110 but just wondered if anyone had tried to fit one to a series landrover, and if at that, to a lightweight?

Anybody had good/bad experience with either? Do they do what they are designed for? Seems alot of money for what it is!

Has anyone tried to make their own?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers.

Do you have a rollcage fitted to your lightweight ? A properly mounted and diagonally braced internal roll cage eliminates the need for the bulkhead or the brace. I have a 6 point internal cage and removed the bulkhead on my series 2 SWB to give enough sleeping room and don't notice any lack of rigidity. If you don't have a cage then i think the bar would be necessary, particularly on a ninety or lightweight as the tubs on both are much more flimsily made than series tubs.

Bill.

The 109 Safaris that I have seen came as standard with a bulkhead removal bar, try sourcing one of them.

That wasn't so much a bulkhead removal bar, as just something to rest the seat backs against - the 'B' posts were one piece from floor to roof, so wouldn't have needed the bar to keep the body sides from folding in.

& to fit it to a LW it would need cutting to the right length as would a 90/110 unit.

I've been thinking about doing this to mine. But i think it would be easier to start from scratch than modify a defender bar.

The rear bulkhead on a lwt is further forwards towards the front car, and i think it may even be at a slightly steeper angle. ( only by a few degrees) to have any real benefit to seat adjustment you would need to cut the galvanise cappings right back, and make the reinforment sit flush with the inside edge of the rear removable tub setions.

Then you have to consider the "triangles" that the removable sectiosn bolt into at the front that are supported by the main bulkhead panel that is going to me significantly weakened.

Its basically going to be alot of measuring and fab work.

If you just want to open the rear up to the front for access, then you can make a alot of compromises that would make the job easier.

Hth

I've been thinking about doing this to mine. But i think it would be easier to start from scratch than modify a defender bar.

The rear bulkhead on a lwt is further forwards towards the front car, and i think it may even be at a slightly steeper angle. ( only by a few degrees) to have any real benefit to seat adjustment you would need to cut the galvanise cappings right back, and make the reinforment sit flush with the inside edge of the rear removable tub setions.

Then you have to consider the "triangles" that the removable sectiosn bolt into at the front that are supported by the main bulkhead panel that is going to me significantly weakened.

Its basically going to be alot of measuring and fab work.

If you just want to open the rear up to the front for access, then you can make a alot of compromises that would make the job easier.

Hth

Hi guys,

The main motive of this exercise is to possibly fit a sub box like enzorover did to his. He makes no reference to modifying the support brace. What does the two brackets do that run across the seat box. Does this mount just on the seat box or does it connect to the chassis as well?

Cheers

Mud UK also do a bar to fit a Defender. Might be slightly easier to replicate if you were so inclined. It's more of a bulkhead lowering bar, but serves well if you only want more space in the front.

It's by no means perfect.....I had to adjust it to fit my 90!!

The P&P/North Off Road ones seemed very expensive and they also completely remove the bulkhead, which I still find useful for restraining loads in the back.

HTH

Adrian

6cyltdi... What sort of vehicle is that? Looks like a cut-down LWB with four-doors and no middle row? Eh...

It's a 109" or rangey, depends on ho you look at it, its rr chassis and running gear 3.9 efi with cut down 109" body and defender(ish) front end.....

post-4890-1216250653_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1216250723_thumb.jpg

Gibraltan import reg'd as 109"