The Infamous Defender Indicators & Hazards

M-o-B again.

Just like a lot of the posters on here, I am having fun and games with the indicators. Have followed LandyManLukes technical help and got thus far:-

Link the permanent supply to the right indicators; hey presto it works.

Link the permanent supply to the left indicators; it shorts and blows a fuse.

All the other tests with the right hand side are okay.

The left hand side is definitely the problem area.

If I link the permanent supply & supply to flasher, then use the stalk, I get that Smeeee sound from the flasher ( as if it's not breaking / making the contact properly ). Same happens if I link light switch supply & supply to flasher.

My limited knowledge of electrics, leads me to think that there is a short occuring on the indicator stalk. Can anyone confirm this. Can you repair it or do I buy a new one ?

Meanwhile my arms are getting wet & cold in the July summer.

Cheers

M-o-B

I had a similar problem on mine and I found that it was a poor earth on the left hand side wing indicator. Cleaned all the terminals on the bulb holders and checked the wires going to them and all now good. Well they were until I worte this I suppose!

M-o-B again.

Just like a lot of the posters on here, I am having fun and games with the indicators. Have followed LandyManLukes technical help and got thus far:-

Link the permanent supply to the right indicators; hey presto it works.

Link the permanent supply to the left indicators; it shorts and blows a fuse.

All the other tests with the right hand side are okay.

The left hand side is definitely the problem area.

If I link the permanent supply & supply to flasher, then use the stalk, I get that Smeeee sound from the flasher ( as if it's not breaking / making the contact properly ). Same happens if I link light switch supply & supply to flasher.

My limited knowledge of electrics, leads me to think that there is a short occuring on the indicator stalk. Can anyone confirm this. Can you repair it or do I buy a new one ?

Meanwhile my arms are getting wet & cold in the July summer.

Cheers

M-o-B

If you have an older Land Rover it is not uncommon for the wiring inside the chassis (enters from under the bulkhead on the right to the rear of the vehicle) to wear against the inside of the chassis rail. If this happens you get a dead short on one of the circuits at the rear.

Hope you find the fault somewhere easier to get to!

Sometimes the Hazard switch goes faulty which affects the indicators.

Regards,

Diff

If you have an older Land Rover it is not uncommon for the wiring inside the chassis (enters from under the bulkhead on the right to the rear of the vehicle) to wear against the inside of the chassis rail. If this happens you get a dead short on one of the circuits at the rear.

Hope you find the fault somewhere easier to get to!

Sometimes the Hazard switch goes faulty which affects the indicators.

Regards,

Diff

Eventually sorted !

Yes the harness was chaffed, on the LH side of the vehicle where it routes behind the heater/blower box and down the inside of the wing panels ( could only find it by pulling all the front LH harness out ). The short on the Green/Red had managed to burn through two earth cables and the headlamp feed. Lucky it didn't go up in flames ! Anyway a bit of deft soldering and the repair was okay. Why didn't they design the harness in "plug in" sections ?

However, still had a problem; which turned out to be the brand new "pattern" hazard warning switch that I had purchased. Detected the fault by following LandyMan Luke's technical guide and using a multimeter. Funny thing was that my existing switch would not work in the off position, whereas the new switch would not work in the on position. Thus I decided to strip down both switches and rebuild to make one working switch. Hey presto everything now works.

The only thing that now puzzles me, is the indicator relay ( not an OE Lucas ) it clicks like a metronome when I rev the engine; but works perfectly when I use the indicators or hazards.

Mmmmm, scratches one's chin !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Eventually sorted !

Yes the harness was chaffed, on the LH side of the vehicle where it routes behind the heater/blower box and down the inside of the wing panels ( could only find it by pulling all the front LH harness out ). The short on the Green/Red had managed to burn through two earth cables and the headlamp feed. Lucky it didn't go up in flames ! Anyway a bit of deft soldering and the repair was okay. Why didn't they design the harness in "plug in" sections ?

However, still had a problem; which turned out to be the brand new "pattern" hazard warning switch that I had purchased. Detected the fault by following LandyMan Luke's technical guide and using a multimeter. Funny thing was that my existing switch would not work in the off position, whereas the new switch would not work in the on position. Thus I decided to strip down both switches and rebuild to make one working switch. Hey presto everything now works.

The only thing that now puzzles me, is the indicator relay ( not an OE Lucas ) it clicks like a metronome when I rev the engine; but works perfectly when I use the indicators or hazards.

Mmmmm, scratches one's chin !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Yep as you said:- Yes the harness was chaffed, on the LH side of the vehicle where it routes behind the heater/blower box and down the inside of the wing panels ( could only find it by pulling all the front LH harness out ).

However, on the nas its the RH side of the vehicle as it passes the heater, cos' it is LHD :lol:

That had me head scratching for some weeks and also the earth wire to the rear electrics was left undone when the transfer box was replaced, it comes through the RH chassis from the transfer box support area to the rear lights and that has the same symptoms of indicators trying to get an earth through the side lights so you get dimmed lights and indicators not indicating :(

• 2 weeks later...

The story continues :- Also noticed that my ignition light would only extinguish at higher engine revs than it had previously.

Decided to source a genuine Lucas flasher relay ( SFB164 ); but my main local Land Rover Dealer ( Preston / Lancs ) does not carry even one in stock ! Found one on e;bay courtesy of J. Richards Surplus. Arrived today, and hey presto when fitted the two remaining problems disappeared.

This could prove a useful experience to other owners who have had similar frustrating problems. The "pattern" part relay that I initially purchased, originated from a high profile supplier of Land Rover aftermarket spares ( beginning with the letter B ).

Just out of interest, can anyone explain what the fault may have been with this "pattern" relay ?

• 3 years later...

I'm having a nightmare with my indicators too! Weirdly, which ever way I turn them, both sides work. Proves a bit confusing to the oncoming traffic. I've substituted the relay and the indicator stalk, but the problem is still there. Presumably trying a new hazard switch is next? Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks

• 11 years later...
On 3/7/2012 at 8:47 AM, Vapyil said:

I'm having a nightmare with my indicators too! Weirdly, which ever way I turn them, both sides work. Proves a bit confusing to the oncoming traffic. I've substituted the relay and the indicator stalk, but the problem is still there. Presumably trying a new hazard switch is next? Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks

On 3/7/2012 at 8:47 AM, Vapyil said:

Thanks

Did you get this resolved? I have the same problem !

G

2 hours ago, GE33 said:

Did you get this resolved? I have the same problem !

G

I doubt you'll get a reply, he has only ever posted 5 times.

My advice would be to find Landyman Lukes post, which is very useful, and diagnose as described. My two pennies worth? The hazard switch is notorious for creating issues with the indicators and replacing it shouldn't hurt, assuming you can find one of reasonable quality. Try PA Blanchard for a replacement part.