TD5 Fuel Filter

I just tried to replace my fuel filter. Disconnected the plug. removed the filter with sensor attached. now when trying to remove the sensor from the filter it just keeps turning (both ways), have i broke the thread and thus knackerd the sensor, if so are they expensive?

cheers

phil.

usually you do not need the water sensor, but it's good to have one around when you are going to no man's land. epecially when you head off into the wilderness and crossing rivers.

what i do is that i keep one in the car while i just put on a dummy plug onto the fuel filter. I only pop the sensor on when I'm driving the LR across the boarder where the fuel quality might be a problem.

This sensor breaks easily after 2 years of use as the fuel is hot returning back from the engine. Hence with time the plastic just cracks and will snap off when you try to turn it or melts into the thread of the fuel filter and will snap when you turn it. You should try to remove the sensor monthly so it doesn't get too stuck to the filter, if you must have one there.

Pay attention, the mere fact that another, lower spec. filter will fit (dimensions and thread being the same) does NOT mean that it is identical to the original filter.

The original filter is built on a special inner design, designed for trapping and separating water from fuel, and so it is much more expensive than a similar filter which looks the same, but it is not the same.

For what the 5 injector units cost, I wouldn't spare money on the fuel filter; as for the water sensor, if damaged you might want to replace it with a suitable plug. This is what LR themselvers did at a certain time pont, given also the frequent instances of sensor malfunctioning. However, mine has been there for 7 and 1/2 years, and seems to work OK...

Silvio

no need to be like that.

i think people understand they are different filters, the td5 one as you describe with the water sensor in the bottom, 300 with water bung and more

a 300tdi on also has a water drain hole as Jim suggests, so that could be used, it does the same thing, just a bung as you have stated LR themselves use and not a fancy sensor to tell you when to drain it.

Both achieve the same thing.

Cant say though that i have heard or remember any cases in the UK of water being in fuel from a pump supply so in my opinion the tdi one would suffice with periodic checking/draining of water as required.

JST, it's not just for the sensor, which is attached out of the filter: it's the inner build of the filter which is different (someone here, as S.t Thomas, cut a filter in two to see what was different...). The filter manufacturer (UFI) sells it as a "high water separation filter", and other filters, from the same make and apparently similar, cost much less.

Whether to pay or not for this extra price, obviously it's a matter of personal choice; probably in UK you've got better diesel than we have here. I just heard of a friend with a Td5 who got a half clogged diesel filter, and it had just 14.000km, instead of the 40.000km it's supposed to last....

The idea of being cheap could always come back to you. I always buy the best(Most likely throwing away money but should I save it to be inherited by my kids who show no appreciation?) .. I buy the best (acclaimed best though) filters and best Battery and change any bolt and rusty nuts anytime i find then anywhere on the car. I guess I am alittle bit rust phobic or paranoia. But at the end of the day my car functions as it should and does not let me down.

Currently took a project of changing all the hoes leading to the PAS box and for crying out loud even changed the PAS box after I solved the problem of leakages. It saves a lot actually. (Wife says Defender has more TLC than she has- I secretly disdain that assertion but surely the Car is well treated) The day you need the car for an important occation, it clicks and one sits with that long Charlie-Chaplain-look-alike face!! Anyway I have something called a BANJO bolt on my Defender 110 td5 99 model and interchange between the sensor and the Banjo bolt. Alas, my long mail ends here!!

JST, it's not just for the sensor, which is attached out of the filter: it's the inner build of the filter which is different (someone here, as S.t Thomas, cut a filter in two to see what was different...). The filter manufacturer (UFI) sells it as a "high water separation filter", and other filters, from the same make and apparently similar, cost much less.

Whether to pay or not for this extra price, obviously it's a matter of personal choice; probably in UK you've got better diesel than we have here. I just heard of a friend with a Td5 who got a half clogged diesel filter, and it had just 14.000km, instead of the 40.000km it's supposed to last....

Silvio, yep i understand that, all i am saying is that in the UK i reckon you can get away with the std 300 tdi (not as good or designed as well for water separation) filter, and i have not heard of any water in fuels problems on the news here.

Best practice would be to fit the proper one, but i was suggesting it may be over complicating it.

So does the one SteveG is on about have a the same water separation makeup inside just not have the thread for the sensor?

i'm not sure about in the UK, but the fuel quality here in SG is pretty good.

I am using a MAN truck filter at the moment which is the same size and can acomodate the water sensor too. However, true to what the $tealership told me, there's more pressure from an original land rover filter thant a 3rd party one. Hence it gives a very slight increase in performance. This is more noticiable to me, especially so cos I have a very light right foot.

did someone say 40k km lifespan for an original?! hmm, i've just chucked out mine at 20k.

Price wise, damn, the original is really expensive, it's like 100sgd for one vs 29sgd for the MAN filter.

I think that the filter remains the same, LR just fitted a plug in place of the sensor!

Simple, uh??

As for the cost, I can save something in respect of the price asked by LR dealers if I buy a UFI or Mann&Hummel filter via aftermarket shops, but these filters remain on the expensive side all the same.

Officially (LR-wise), the filter is due to be replaced at 40k km, but obviously much dependes on the quality of fuel; we've got some tractors in our little farm, their fuel filters last for ages, literally. They are filled only with diesel left undisturbed in a tank, so water and dirt have all the time to settle. When new fuel is poured in the tank, we wait at least 2 or 3 days before refuelling the tractors...