Timken Bearings

tuko

I found today that I have a bad bearing in my series 3 transmission, the bad bearing being a lesser brand that was bought on eblag. Refusing to use nothing other than Timken bearing for my axles, I was wondering if Timken has replacement bearing for series 3 transmissions? If so, is there a reference list some wheres and where could I buy these bearings?

If there is no such thing, then where is it best to order "original" bearing for my transmission, I have no intentions of using the after market bearings again! Oh and I'm no fan of any of the "addocks" for ordering parts.

Todd.

Thanks for the replies.

Attached are 1) the original bearing that I replaced. ( yes, I'm a pacrat ) 2) the "replacement" bearing with it's part #.

Yes, some of the bearing in the transmission are Bearmach and others are Sh!tpart. I'm sure that this one that is gone, is the .........bearing!

Todd.

post-194-1215972427_thumb.jpg

post-194-1215972438_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't have thought bearings were the sort of items that would be made to a low quality specification' To set up manufacturing bearings is a very expensive operation.

Bearing manufacturers make bearings have to conform to very specific specifications for each bearing type that cover load, RPM, tolerance, temperature etc.

I notice the bearing says 'England' on the side?

Is it not possible that it has been contaminated by the swarf from the original bearing - or some other contamination the caused the original bearing to fail?

Take a grinder to the bearing to see if it is badly scored inside - this would indicate contamination.

Steve,

Have a look at this link;

http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/product/763

This bearing is the layshafts inner bearing, look at the difference in prices for the two types of "brands" that they offer. Lets assume that the comments used towards a particular aftermarket supplier is based upon that they might be the one who chooses the lesser of the two brands for the sake of profit.

The bearing with England stamped on it, is the original that I took out and replaced........Kinda wished that I didn't now. :(

Todd.

Being in Sweden I suggest you take the old bearing and go to some industrial bearings supplier, SKF or Timken being the most common. After all, bearings are made to measures. If not in Nybro, there must be someone in Kalmar. Be prepared to pay up, however, bearings is a commodity that big customers may get up to 80% discount on... :blink: