How much is this worth?

sajseven

Panorama.jpg

(click image for album)

It's a 1977 Land Rover Series III 88", currently in soft-top form. In the pictures, it may look relatively complete, but the current owner will have to take certain things away for his new (V8) project. The most notable changes are:

• The soft-top is supplied, but the hoops will be removed.
  • The tub will be taken, but he's giving me an unassembled kit and a complete one that's of a lesser standard to the current one.
  • The windscreen will be removed, nothing supplied.
  • As will the seats and the seat-box, which I would have to find.
  • The capping for the tubs are not supplied, he thinks.
  • The current engine (running beautifully) is supplied as is, but a second, more tuned one is also to be given, which has been modified to accept unleaded. It's in pieces.
  • He's supplying a hard-top, which is apparently mostly complete, except for the side windows. It needs paint, but I think it may be a Safari top!
  • A centre cubby-box is supplied, as shown in the photos.
  • The doors currently on will be removed, but different ones will be supplied (apparently a bit rusty at the bottom?)

I'm sure there's more than above, I just can't think of it at the moment... :rolleyes: It'll probably need a repaint, because I'm not so sure about the colour? (Faded Mid-grey?) How much would you price it at? (taking into account the descriptions above) Thank you...

PS... Bear in mind that this is not a pick-up and drive vehicle - nor do I really want one of those. I just want a project. ;) For those in the know, I also posted this on LandRoverNet.com.

Chassis is the most important thing - what condition is it in?

If the chassis is ok, then £2-300

Les.

The chassis looked to be in good condition. Rear cross-member was replaced recently. It looked to be under-sealed properly (have a look at the photos, I took a few pictures underneath). I meant to write that down before... I just forgot. :rolleyes: Thanks.

The chassis looked to be in good condition. Rear cross-member was replaced recently. It looked to be under-sealed properly (have a look at the photos, I took a few pictures underneath). I meant to write that down before... I just forgot. :rolleyes: Thanks.

its worth having a good poke about at the chasis after all underseal is a bad welders best friend

Right... I don't think he's trying to hide anything (friend of my dad's). It seems to all look in order. The bulkhead looks okay. The door tops are a bit past it, but the rest if it looks pretty rust-free. :i-m_so_happy: Anything else I should be checking? He's asking £300...

Dont be put off! I bought my very straight 1960 series 10 months ago with 12 months mot on it. Since then out of nececity its had new springs, fuel tank and filler neck, clutch master cylinder, windscreen glass, door tops, wheel bearing, exhaust repairs, plus all the fluids it loses and the cost of the tools to do the jobs myself. (there are probably more that Ive forgotten over 10 months) On the basis that you know you'll be working and spending on it, you dont want to pay much for it at the begining! By contrast my girls '05 corsa has'nt needed any repairs, but I am embarrased every time I drive it... Good luck with the project, it will be a lot of fun and an emotional journey! :lol:

As long as the bulkhead, outriggers, and chassis are ok, then engine and box, axles, are also good, then £300 seems ok to me. Unglazed door tops are cheap enough and you can swap the glass over as well as fit those plastic window channels instead of the original sponges. The underseal is very thick - my suspicious mind would worry about why that it is. I would certainly have a good look at the welding that's been done - there is far more bad welding than there is good. Most bits for series motors are very cheap, so worn bushes and bearings are not a major problem, but could be a good lever to get the price down.

Les.