Internal Sauna

Ivan

SWMBO has been using my Discovery this week. Got a phone call when she was on her way home from work that the car was full of smoke :o Got the car home and it's not smoke but steam coming out through the heater vents. Does this sound like the heater matrix has given up the ghost ? If so what's involved in geting it sorted ? If I't's a dash out job then what do I need to do about the air bags before I take the dash out (it's got passenger and driver air bags)?

TIA

Ivan

Could be, though I have never seen a blown heater matrix - but it seems the likely culprit.

Airbags: easy enough

Disconnect the battery and leave the vehicle for a while, I think the book says 10 min but I usually give it 30, this allows the capacitors in the airbag ECU to discharge.

Make sure you are not wearing any static clothing e.g. nylon, cotton is a good thing to wear, synthetic fleeces are a very bad thing to wear. I also usually wash my hands/arms so everything is slightly damp, removes any static before starting. This is probably overkill but I do it anyway. Unscrew the two bolts on the back of the steering wheel bag (torx bits IIRC) and take the bag out, store it somewhere out of the way with the connector side facing down, this means if it does go off (v unlikely) it won't go flying up in the air! Passenger bag is a pig to get at, I think from memory you have to take the glovebox out and get at the bolts from underneath but it's a long time since I did one. Same precautions apply on storage.

Do NOT switch the ignition on or reconnect the battery while the bags are out or you will get a load of warning lights which will need Testbook to reset.

Refit - just reconnect the bags, make sure they are securely bolted in, connect battery, then ignition on. I usually stand outside the vehicle when I switch it on the first time .... but never had any problems!

The only other thing to mention is don't turn the rotary coupler under the steering wheel because if it gets out of sync then you will rip its guts out the first time you go to full lock on the steering. A bit of sellotape will stop it from turning while everything is out.

Thanks Steve. I looks like I've got a bit of work on my hands. Before I rip everything apart any ideas as to what else might it possibly be other than the heater matrix or pipes ?

Rgds

Ivan

It dose sound like the matrix have gone not the nicest of jobs to do, had to do mine same time last year. If it was 300 there could have been pipes linking matrix with heater pipes. Have a look at the eblag pics of 200 and 3000 disco and you'll see what I mean. eblag numbers -- 200tdi item number 4601347037 300series -- item number 4600955298 just paste them in the eblag search. The heater box from RR of same age as 200 discos are same . I have RR one in mine and it was straight fit. Greg

If it is the matrix, you will see that the coolant goes down, The other way is you will be able to smell the anti-freez inside the vehicle - sickly sweet smell. As Steve says - be careful with the airbags, if they go off and you are leaning foprward, you can be seriously injured or possibly killed - you can end-up with a broken neck.

Les.

Thanks for the info guys. It's definitely the heater matrix (or pipes) as I've bypassed the heater now (kin cold driving as well) and it's stopped. The coolant level is ok (after topping up). I have managed to find a mechanic not too far from me (he does know what he is doing as well) who has agreed to fit a new one for £240 + parts. At that price I'm better off letting him do it instead of me trying to do it sitting in my drive for god knows how many days.

Ivan