Chassis repair tips?

SteveA

I am doing some chassis repairs on a Series III Lightweight, on the main chassis rails under the rear loading area. I have done the passenger side quite easily, but the drivers side main rail also houses all of the wires for the rear lights, do you have any tips on how best to weld repair the chassis rail, while making sure the cables do not get damaged?

Thanks,

Steve

You can either pull the wiring out of the chassis and then cable tie it to the top of the chassis rail or cut out the rust and use some stiff wire or similar to keep the cable on the opposite side of the chassis. This is what I do. It's ok with electric welding, but gas is a different matter - due to the amount of radiant heat generated.

Les.

When I did my lightweights quarter chassis I managed to thread some old caravan waste pipe that I had slit down the middle over the wires to keep them in a bundle -the pipe is corrugated and therefore you are able to move it around inside the chassis to keep it away from the side you are welding. You could use anything really -old hose pipe if it is big enough for example....

Once done you just pull the hose off the wires and they are all still in place ready for reconnecting -job done :)

what about tieing some string to it then pulling it back out, it doesnt matter if the string gets damaged does it? and it would be easier to pull back thro then, unless of course the string got welded to the chassis :D

what about tieing some string to it then pulling it back out, it doesnt matter if the string gets damaged does it? and it would be easier to pull back thro then, unless of course the string got welded to the chassis :D

I've known looms get snagged pulling them back through, but you don't know about it until they melt and fuses start blowing.

It's OK if you know the state of the inside of the rails, otherwise................