OT - Impact wrenches

JST

Ok, i am looking for an impact wrench (for light occasional use) to run off a 50L (it may be 25L) 2hp compressor with 8mm pipe. cfm = not sure!

have found one that needs 4cfm and another that needs 12cfm. 12cfm on is better value for money and comes with sockets etc and a higher torque.

so will the compressor run the 12cfm one or would air flow be so inefficient that i would be better off with the 4cfm one.

i know its not ideal but i am working to the parameters i currently have.

I dont really want a list of the 'best' guns to buy i would like to know views on if it would run the 12cfm one enough to undo wheel nuts happily (even if i have to wait for the compressor to refill all the time)

thank you for your help.

I had a ickle baby Clarke 25l "tiger" compressor and one of their cheapy Clarke impact guns that came with a small range of sockets.

I could use it as a "nut runner", i.e quickly whipping nuts off once you have taken all the torque of 'em, but other than that the whole setup was only useful as a noise making machine!! :lol:

I use my Aldi special on my RR onboard air system which has a 3 or so litre tank, you have to wait for it between wheels but it is really quite a useful thing to have, when it works. :rolleyes:

So, in answer to your question, yes it will be fine.

Not wishing to be negative but surely of you are going to wait for the compressor to build up between uses it would be quicker and easier to just run them off with a decent socket and bar as that only takes seconds!

I would certainly go for a cordless over an air wrench with a marginal air supply. mines brilliant for really tight stuff but the cheap ones wont do tight and the good ones need decent air.

Sorry guys,, is it me :unsure: ,, or did you miss the question ??? bar Nick

I dont really want a list of the 'best' guns to buy i would like to know views on if it would run the 12cfm one enough to undo wheel nuts happily (even if i have to wait for the compressor to refill all the time)

thank you for your help.

I know James already has the same Bosch cordless gun as i do,, question was ,, would his diddy compressor run a air wrench ??

I recon it would,,, just,,

Sorry guys,, is it me :unsure: ,, or did you miss the question ??? bar Nick

I know James already has the same Bosch cordless gun as i do,, question was ,, would his diddy compressor run a air wrench ??

Sorry, I agree with Tim, It will run it but not great.

i've got a SiP impact wrench too off my bigger compressor, what i want to know is what my old mans compressor will run Impact wise.

I don't really understand this topic, you have about 4 impact guns already (including a cordless one)? are you going for one gun per wheel? Do you often find yourself getting punctures on your road tyres? i don't think that getting All terrains is going to be a good use of money just because you get a puncture or too- their off road bias would be a waste of money on your truck wouldn't it?

With all air tools you need to consider the free air delivery of the compressor.

Your 12cfm gun needs a continuous 12cfm AND probably around 90psi to run continuously. That means a compressor that can deliver BOTH as a minimum. And that's a BIG compressor.

With a smaller compressor you will have to keep stopping as the tank pressure drops & you have to wait for it to refill. You will then have a short period of tool usage until you have to let the tank refill again. Very frustrating.

I use a 2hp compressor with 50lt tank professionally for SMART repairs. Fine for the small HVLP guns I use. It will operate the impact wrench I have, but I have to keep letting it refill.

You maybe able to adjust the pressure switch setting? Usually a couple of adjuster screws inside the switch casing. Allowing the compressor to kick in earlier and keep wait times down? Most run upto 8-9 Bar and then stop until pressure is down to 5 Bar. Tweek it to kick in at 6-7 bar?

Maybe sourcing a larger air receiver and plumbing that in could give you abit more air for the rattle gun?

Mark

you guys must work fast

i have a 25l compressor and rattle gun from aldi. undoes almost everything i want and i dont have to wait for the compressor to refill as i've usually undone what i need by the time it has run out of air. i don't think i have had to undo more than about 3 really sticky bolts in quick succession, mostly it's one at a time witha pause to reposition myself or rattle gun.

i don't have a 2 post lift or anything so there's never a situation where i'll have to undo 20 wheel nuts in quick succession.

Tim, do you remember when I broke my steering arm in the river at 7Sisters? I undid the ball joints etc with my 3l onboard air system. :i-m_so_happy:

your right its in the wrong section - sorry - mods could you move please?

thank you for your advice, i will go for the 12cfm one and wait for the compressor to charge up between uses i think - can always down size later if its a problem i guess.

Thank you everyone