Horrible clunk when engine turned off

Hi,

Could anybody give me some ideas on the following. Not everytime, but lets say every 4 to 5 times I turn the engine off I hear a horrible metallic clunking noise. Clunks once and that is it, but it doesn't sound very healthy.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Starter motor nose bush perhaps, starter motor loose/not disengaging properly from starting. Busted engine or gearbox mounting, engine falling out, gearbox falling out, chassis snapped in half, wheels about to drop off, clunk monster under the seat, your knees, the fence post you keep forgetting about :P

Does the clutch feel and operate ok? Try putting it into neutral and coming to a stop with the brakes, then switch it off and see if it still does it.

Les.

Thanks,

I have just popped over to the UK for a few days, so will check the mounts out when I get back. I will also try the neutral stop. The LR has been full on ever since getting over to Transylvania, so it's not really a surprise these things are happening after a life on tarmac.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Diff. I will put that on my list of to do jobs well.

I think I may offer a free holiday to someone to come over to supervise me while I sort all this out. If you know anyone good with the spanners please let me know. I was going to drive the LR back to the UK, but with the electrical problems I thought it better to fly!

Cheers,

Paul