p38 GEARBOX NOT SELECTING

jds

I HAVE JUST FITTED MY ENGINE AFTER REBUILDING IT AND IT STARTED UP FIRST TIME. BUT NOW WHEN THE GEARBOX IS PUT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE IT JUST MAKES A GRINDING NOISE. HAS ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM?

ANY ADVICE WELCOME.

I assume this is an auto?

If so, did you ensure that the Torque Converter was correctly fitted to the gearbox before offering it all up?

This is checked by measuring from a straight edge across the bellhousing to any of the four bosses on the front of the TC. On the RRC with 4speed ZF - similar to the box you have - this is usually 50mm.

If this is not set it means the cutouts on the gearbox side of the TC has not engaged with the gearbox oil pump & when you bolt the box up to the engine it will split this pump.

No pump=no pressure=no drive.

Requires gearbox or engine removal & replacement of the pump.

TC MUST be fitted to the gearbox and not to the engine when refitting.

Also need to be careful when refitting that the TC doesn't slide forward.

You will find more on http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk who also give the correct distance for your gearbox number.

I am assuming that you have bolted the flex plate to the tc after the box was refitted - I have known someone to forget to do that!

The Tc was not removed and nor was the transmision.

A friend says it may be the transfer box, would the grinding noise be consistent with a transfer box problem?

The noise happens when put into drive, reverse and even when you try and put it in park.