Rotor arm removal

V8david

Hi all. New rotor arm arrived today... genuine... lovely. (3.5 V8 Efi). So I think easy job (for once!), crack on, get it done before dinner. How the f**k do you get it off?!? I've pulled and pulled and pulled. Is there a knack? I don't want to do any damage obviously. I assumed you just pull it and push on the new one.

Am I being stupid? Yes, I expect so.

No, and you're right to be wary.

Sometimes they are a tight fit or rust on.

The danger here is that you pull on it and haul the innards of the dizzy to bits.

If it's really tight, then you'll have to pull hard, but make sure you're securing the pickup etc with the end of a screwdriver or similar, so that it doesn't move with the arm. Look at an exploded drawing and you'll see what I mean.

Once it's off, give the shaft a good clean, and treat it to some oil, the new one should just slip on then.

HS is right,many a V8 dizzy has been trashed,(They are put back togetherable) by pulling off the rotor.Place some rag around the shaft and break it up with large pliers,being careful not to drop any bits inside.Then you can clean and oil the shaft so its easy next time.You can check its all still OK by twisting the rotor and making sure it springs back without lots of slop.

Right, cheers for that guys. All done now. As suggested the old rotor had to be destroyed in order to remove it and yes, the shaft was rusty! All clean and oiled now.

Problem though... During the incredibly satisfying destruction of the rotor arm, I managed to take a large chunk out of the clear plastic cover held on with the three screws (it's really brittle!).

So question is does it matter? And if so has anyone got a spare one they can sell me?

Pretty sure that's just a dust seal -if you are worried about it just stick a bit of tape over it -yes they are fragile, I have cracked one before, therefore I have no spares :(

For taking the arm off next time, try a centre punch right on top of it and whack it gently with a small hammer, it should fall into lots of pieces all at once :)

as you have pulled it quite well are the bob weights still connected and the rotor arm twist back when released if not then it will need overhauling also

top tip when you change the rotor arm drip some oil down the shaft to lubricate the base plate of the dissy should be done every 12 months

Cheers guys. Thanks vougese39, I'll pop the new arm back off and oil drip a bit of oil down the shaft. Haven't disturbed anything inside, I was too scared to pull too hard! After all the attemted pulling my fingers really hurt and I REALLY enjoyed smashing up the old rotor arm! :lol:

Definite improvement in performance. Highly recommend a new dissy cap and rotor arm!

I was gonna suggest putting some penetrating oil don the shaft as well.

The plastic cover may also be to prevent any stray arching from damaging the low tension stuff so might be a good idea as suggested to put some PVC tape over the hole