Suspension

Guest diesel_jim

For cheap and good quality springs....

get genuine ones.

HD 90 rears on the back: part n. RKB101230 (RH side) used to be NRC9462

RKB101240 (LH side) used to be NRC9463

on the front, fit standard 90 rear's (this is what the factory do for HD front 90's) NRC9448 & NRC9449

add a set of decent gas shocks (OME or similar) and you won't go wrong.

The Paddocks kit is a good price. You will need to replace the flexi brake pipes as well as fitting dislocation cones on the rear so that needs factoring in. You would then probably need to correct the front camber and maybe fit a double cardan front prop.

£500 ish - just entry level stuff.

Having done similar (a while ago) I wish I had gone to someone like devon4x4 and spent twice that on quality kit from OME.

Depends on what your wanting the lift for i guess.... Spring spacers are as good as anything and don't compromise handling..... If you get inch longer shocks (which are 2" longer fully extended) on the origional mounts you won't require dislocation cones.... Fair enough castor correction won't be quite right, but i would say you definatly won't need different prop shafts...

I ran my 90 with +3 - +4 springs and ran origional props.....

The caster angle is the imaginary line that the front wheels pivot on as they turn..

Hi all.

Have searched the forum for this, but dont seem to get any results.

What is the best, cheap 2" suspension lift kit for a defender 90?

I've been looking at this, any good?

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_ROAD/C...mp_Dampers.html

Thanks, Tom.

this is an impossible question to answer,

far too many variables, like vehicle weight (cage, winches, half ton of tools in the back etc), what you want the lift to do, what you use it for etc etc etc

Mine is a fairly standard 90csw that i use daily - but also playdays and trials.

so i fitted rangie police spec rears (red/white) up front and disco military rears at the back (with a small spacer to level the truck).

road handling is good, if not slightly better than before and combined with +2" shocks it flexes much better than standard.

it aint no RTI champion, but it was cheap to buy and as it uses standard LR springs - easy to replace.

Seems effective enough both on and offroad and my insurance company didnt raise my premiums as i used genuine LR part numbered springs so didnt count it as a 'modified lifted suspension kit'. ;)

Have you tried MM4x4 at Droitwich??

They have some good value lift kits, and the service is very good in my opinion.

I'm with Jim though on the spring front, genuine ones are just as cheap and are better quality - there's a spring rate table about somewhere if you do a search and you can see the different free lengths and ratings.

The Britpart spring/shock sets at mm4x4 are pretty good though, fitted a set on a disco and I'm impressed for the price.

another vote for genuine springs... I just fitted a pair of OEM millitary spec rear springs to my Disco.... and am well pleased with the ride...

It doesn't crash about like the 110 i had which was fitted with bearmach blue springs... they must have been rated at about 800lb because it was as stiff as a touring car!

I agonised over this for weeks, then went for OME springs and shocks. They are great on and off road. I changed to Polybush red too, but no radius correction or prop changes. I also had extended brake hoses fitted.

Cheers,

Paul

"Triscocks" just fitted his gwyn lewis bits last weekend, he got a set of scorpion springs cheap & in total for dampers turrets & towers dampers & hoses I dont think he spent any thing over £500 for all of it. You will be chuffed to bits with the equipment if you get the same stuff. I was really impressed with how it performed for the outlay. Have a chat with him, see what he says & get his opinion. Have a look in my profile for his details.

Adrian

"Triscocks" just fitted his gwyn lewis bits last weekend, he got a set of scorpion springs cheap & in total for dampers turrets & towers dampers & hoses I dont think he spent any thing over £500 for all of it. You will be chuffed to bits with the equipment if you get the same stuff. I was really impressed with how it performed for the outlay. Have a chat with him, see what he says & get his opinion. Have a look in my profile for his details.

Adrian

As Ade said, i fitted Gywn lewis brackets with Rough country shocks, gives great articulation. I am very impressed with the quality of the kit, and it came to less than £400 including brake hoses (although i did have some homemade relocation cones).

If you want any pics, give me a shout

Tris