Well I've not seen that before

Last time I had the laptop plugged in I noticed the 109 was running a bit lean, so I richened it up a bit and all was OK. However, I also had an occasional misfire when starting the engine, which I suspected could be a sticking injector. Today after jetwashing the engine I ran it up to dry it off and, whilst fiddling with things, found I could induce a brief misfire by touching the wires running under the plenum.

Searching for a chafed wire showed nothing. I used the screwdriver-stethoscope method to listen to the injectors to see if one was sticking, they all sounded like they were firing albeit quieter than I expected. A bit more investigation found this:

injector_corrode.jpg

:blink: It was still just about firing, however the path across the rusty muck in the connector seemed to be conducting and stopping the rest of the injectors from firing fully. With the connector off, the other seven injectors are ticking louder and the engine is now a tad too rich :rolleyes:

So looks like time to dig out a spare injector and clean up the connector. Of course I'd much rather be overhauling a carburettor :hysterical:

I'm guessing this has been caused by some of the wading I've been doing :ph34r: , it must've been like this for a month or so before Ladoga, and done 3000 miles like it :blink: it still got 15-20mpg too despite ~5-6 tonnes all up for parts of the journey.

Of course, I could mention Tdis not needing all that electrical lark but I won't ;)

That's OK - I'd rather change an injector than a cambelt... or P-gasket... or head gasket...

Oh and running on 7 it's down to only just double the power of the TDi :(

Of course, I could mention Tdis not needing all that electrical lark but I won't

Steady on Mo, you know how loose the lid to that particular can of worms is!

That's OK - I'd rather change an injector than a cambelt... or P-gasket... or head gasket...

Now thats not fair John! Nowt wrong with me head gasket.

Only had to change my cambelt once & a P-gasket twice :o