Simex- Road wear

pugwash

How quickly will a set of 35" simex wear with road use and a heavy truck? Wear being to the point of very reduced efficteveness. 5k, 10k?

thinking about buying a set and need to work out whether it is worth buying a second set of road tyres/wheels, or just buying simex more often!

obviously handling and noise will be an issue which i am aware of.

Jim, the Hybrid and Bob, do not do enough road miles to quantify !!

In your case, you need a 2nd set of rims, and swap over for events,, the road noise alone would justify the cost of the rims !!!

I'd say that they'll wear fairly quickly if you plan to do quite a few miles on road. When I had the simex clad hybrid, I soon started to use a set of BFG's for road and green lane use. I did quite a few trips to Wales and the West country on the Simex and in that time I'd say that they took more wear on road than off.

The main problem with using them often on road is their dubious braking in the wet. On the hybrid they used to follow the tread pattern under braking and would weave and their stopping distance was obviously not great.

I didn't find running two sets the solution though. It was fine for using BFG's to do most of the miles, but If I wanted to do an event in Wales etc on the Simex, I'd either have to put them in a trailer and tow that or trailer the hybrid. I didn't have a trailer with a Nato hitch so I just used to put the Simex on and put up with them for the long motorway journeys. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

How quickly will a set of 35" simex wear with road use and a heavy truck? Wear being to the point of very reduced efficteveness. 5k, 10k?

thinking about buying a set and need to work out whether it is worth buying a second set of road tyres/wheels, or just buying simex more often!

obviously handling and noise will be an issue which i am aware of.

Well sadly mine seems to do far more road miles than off tarmac but I got over 15K out of the front set while the rears still have considerable tread left after more than 20K

As other have said noise and road handling might might be a bigger reason not to use them on the road but to my mind I might as well wear them out on the road as have them sat perishing in the garage.

i think two sets of tyres Jim, just get another set of rims for the Simex.

Is this though process generated off the back end of my last email and results weekend gone?

yeah i've ben thinking about it for a while- i have the axle strength to take 35" simexes as well as clearance in the arches so theres no real reason not to fit them apart from cost! i'm a little unhappy with running the MTs on the road so much so i've been thinking about getting a second set of tyres for a while- but if i do get a set of road tyres then i might as well get a set of off simex instead of the MTs!

Ive been running my truck on road with fedimas for past few months. I breaks my heart using them on road just knowing how much rubber is being removed as I drive down the road. My only concern with using them on road is is expense. Cant say the noise bothers me as I had bronco dirtdevils before & they were really noisy. Ive managed to pick up a set of Procomp tyres for every day use & the fedimas will only be fitted for comps etc. Cant say Ive ever needed the grip that the fedimas offer whilst greenlaning, but it is nice to have them fitted for peace of mind.

So, if you can afford it & be bothered changing them when not needed, simex for offroad, & another set of MTs for laning & everyday use

Adrian