fitting sftermarket sidesteps

andy d

I bought a set of sidesteps for my Freebie, looked straight forward enough to fit, even with the terrible instructions...lol

Anyway four hours into the job I had only managed to fit the front passenger side bracket as per the instructions, then moved onto the middle one which I could only get one bolt through and then the rear which again I only got one bolt through.

It looks like these brackets just don't fit, the company who sells them on ebay JSG Direct have thousands of positive feedback and seem to have a good rep, I've emailed them tonight to see if it's maybe just been a bad batch or if it's me that's being cackhanded.

Hopefully they'll get back to me with an easy fix.

BTW, have any of you used steps from JSG Diretc in the past?

• 3 weeks later...

With that attitude, you're welcome!

Perhaps, just perhaps, no-one's heard of JSG, and without any useful detail to go on other than "it doesn't fit", the opportunity for offering helpful advice is a tad limited. Also, posting on a forum before contacting JSG to see if they can offer any insight is perhaps premature.

Or maybe, just maybe, the members of an off-road forum really can't be arsed to answer a half-baked query about a bolt-on cosmetic accessory.

Perhaps, just perhaps, no-one's heard of JSG, and without any useful detail to go on other than "it doesn't fit", the opportunity for offering helpful advice is a tad limited. Also, posting on a forum before contacting JSG to see if they can offer any insight is perhaps premature.

Or maybe, just maybe, the members of an off-road forum really can't be arsed to answer a half-baked query about a bolt-on cosmetic accessory.

spit.gif15.gif

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Let's face it the freelander itself is a bit of a mummsy cosmetic accessory (ask any proper landrover owner) :P , hence it's my wifes car, If I wanted a 4x4 I'd have bought a proper one.

I wanted a shopping cart with a bit of road presence which was feminine enough for a young woman to drive, the side steps were for the kids to get in and out so not really all that cosmetic IMO

No wonder there aren't many Freelander folk visiting the Freelander Forum regularly.

As for a half baked query....Lets face it a monkey with half a brain could've got the idea.

Are you a monkey? do you possess half a brain...............I'll reserve my judgement

Forgive me - The fitting procedure for these is "put bolt in hole", if that process fails, either you can't work a spanner (which I would say is usually an unlikely state of affairs) or the thing itself is made wrong.

If it's the first one, then you are probably beyond help.

If it's the second, then there's not much anyone on the internet can do unless you post something useful like a photo of the problem.

Pass me that banana... :rolleyes:

Forgive me - The fitting procedure for these is "put bolt in hole", if that process fails, either you can't work a spanner (which I would say is usually an unlikely state of affairs) or the thing itself is made wrong.

If it's the first one, then you are probably beyond help.

If it's the second, then there's not much anyone on the internet can do unless you post something useful like a photo of the problem.

Pass me that banana... :rolleyes:

They sent the wrong brackets initially.

I measured them up took the digital photos and sent them to JSG, they offered to mod them for me, ended up doing it myself......less hassle but not ideal.

I was really just looking for someone to say.....I got steps from the same supplier and had a similar problem or I had steps from the same supplier and they were fine.

Rob at JSG turned out to be a great help and it was just a new supplier they used for the brackets that had cut holes in the wrong position.

Well at least you got sorted, that's the main thing.

Things is that should someone else buy steps from JSG then at least your experience is here for them to draw from.

exactly thats my point thats called being helpfull :)

frigefreezer take note.... :P

exactly thats my point thats called being helpfull :)

frigefreezer take note.... :P

I refer you to my previous comments - if no-one's heard of JSG and your only information is "it doesn't fit", what were you expecting people to do? Or did you want everyone on the forum to post "Sorry, I don't know, good luck though!" :unsure:

I refer you to my previous comments - if no-one's heard of JSG and your only information is "it doesn't fit", what were you expecting people to do? Or did you want everyone on the forum to post "Sorry, I don't know, good luck though!" :unsure:

Without starting a full on debate as whether you found my query suitable, or on the other hand you found it to be too vague for your monstrously huge appetite for information. I would like to say......get a life!

Some folk may have tried these fittings before from Jsg and if not may at some time in the future consider them so a post like mine isn't a waste of anyones time other than mine, as I put it on the wrong forum.

Should've put it on http://www.freelanderclub.org/.

I never said it was a waste of time, just pointing out the futility of getting angry at a forum just because no-one was able to help you.

I really wish I had a life, unfortunately I'll just have to make do with wondering in awe at how interesting folk like yourselves live.