Navigation/ Route finding software

MogLite

I've got Autoroute 2005 running on a laptop for in-car navigation.

Its a great concept, but AR2005 is pretty buggy, and AR2006 is no better.

AR2005 doesn't offer voice prompts, or tell you that you are approaching a junction etc, so its not a patch on the dedicated SatNavs that Halfords etc sell.

I want the route-finding and postcode features, so whilst memory map and Ozi-Explorer are great, they are not very good at finding an address and planning a route.

Is there a better solution for an XP laptop, I don't want to go to PDA or dedicated sat-nav unit.

AR2005 doesn't offer voice prompts, or tell you that you are approaching a junction etc, so its not a patch on the dedicated SatNavs that Halfords etc sell.

I want the route-finding and postcode features, so whilst memory map and Ozi-Explorer are great, they are not very good at finding an address and planning a route.

Is there a better solution for an XP laptop, I don't want to go to PDA or dedicated sat-nav unit.

All I've ever found for a laptop is a product called Infomap Navigator.

Must stress, never used it or seen it in action but the price is very reasonable.

The Garmin mapping software is quite nice and cheap. On the PC you can use the cheaper Metroguide Europe with Nroute. If you want to autoroute on a GPS or PDA, you need the more expensive City Select.

Metroguide Europe

Nroute

I have an iQue 3600 which is great as it is small enough to be positioned for viewing and use while driving plus gives the full voice prompts when routing. But I know other sthan use nroute and it works well. Most of them (here) get the GPS 18 as it come bundled with City Select NA for the SAME price as buying City select alone...

Andy

try my brother Doug.

www.action-replay.co.uk

Full PC street finding by address or postcode UK and Europe and less than £100 including GPS

Tell him you got th number from the Land Rover forum via me and he will do you a good deal

Dave

Edited by Guilford Dave

Personally I use AA 2006.

i.e. Go to www.theaa.co.uk and go to plan a route it'll do postcode to postcode and has a fare few other options

then using printed out route and AA road Atlas I can get to anywhere if the country

you want voice prompts??

SWMBO................ it works for me ;)

I use that one, silent version though ;)

OK until you're forced to make a detour esp when you resort to using that old RAC roadmap.

Returning from Cambridge had to detour off the M25 thru London. All going fine until the road goes off the bottom of the page. Flick the pages over, and over,... hmm now find myself lost in London with a roadmap form which the key pages have long since parted company :huh:

Andy

try my brother Doug.

www.action-replay.co.uk

Full PC street finding by address or postcode UK and Europe and less than £100 including GPS

Tell him you got th number from the Land Rover forum via me and he will do you a good deal

Dave

Dave

That seems the one, infomap as in the other link but a bunch cheaper :)

I'll give your bro a shout next week.

After a raft of unreliable Garmin GPS's over the last 12+ years, they'll never get any more of my money.

As for PDA, as I've got a Panasonic Toughbook Sub-notebook, no need to down-grade ;)

I've also used the printed instruction stuff, fine for motorways etc, but trying to find a house in an unfamiliar estate, and it just don't cut the mustard, better off with a conventional map.

I use that one, silent version though ;)

OK until you're forced to make a detour esp when you resort to using that old RAC roadmap.

Returning from Cambridge had to detour off the M25 thru London. All going fine until the road goes off the bottom of the page. Flick the pages over, and over,... hmm now find myself lost in London with a roadmap form which the key pages have long since parted company :huh:

Andy,

Do that, hes been selling the software for a few years and is the no1 offical re seller of it in the UK. I use it myself in the motorhome and its far superior to any of the dedicated units I have tried. Hes always on the end of the phone for any tech problems and or new updates that come out. Be warned though there are a lot of pirate copies on the market selling on E bay etc.

Dave

• 2 months later...

To bring an old thread back to life

I got hold of an "evaluation" copy of Infomap

Initially it looked very promising, albeit with too many small buttons to sensibly use on a 8.5" touch screen.

Its not good enough though IMO - here is what I've found - some of it may be tuneable

• Its often about 100m out - ie telling you "at the roundabout" when you are just leaving it
  • It says bear left - but this can also mean turn left
  • The roundabout diagrams are generic, and don't represent the actual roundabout
  • Because its often 100m out you end up taking the wrong turn
  • When re-routing it attempts some damn obscure routes

Shame really because it shows promise and is cheap. But I found I was taking more wrong turns than with a map/list of directions.

I'm currently using my wife's Navman - dedicated sat nav. Its the bottom of the range £160 with no moving map. Thats pretty damn good actually. But you've got to do a sanity check on the route, and it can't do vias. So if you want to go a particular way, you have to do two or more routes.

So the search continues. I stumbled across iGuidance today - which is what prompted me to update this thread. Not got/tested it yet though.