Fitting a 110 roof rack to a 90

Hi All,

I've been looking for a rack for the 90 for a few weeks now, and there is one going near me for a 110 - standard box type galvanised, says it's 'believed to be' a brownchurch although it's obviously a few years old and doesn't look the same as those on their website. It's got 5 equally spaced legs (on each side).

I'm wondering if I'd be able to fit this to the 90, either by cutting it down to fit, or maybe fitting it full sized with additional front supports - either to the front corners of the wings, or angled back to the windscreen edge/bottom.

What do you think? I don't intend driving around with it all the time, only for trips, so would having the front extension and the additional supports make that too much hassle do you think - how are the extra support legs attached to the bodywork?

Any thoughts?

John

John, if it extends over the roof in front I would imagine you would impede the "aerodynamics" even further :lol: . Suggest you cut it back and have 4 supports either side, or swop it with someone who had a 90 and became a family man. I have the opposite of yours ..... a 90 rack on a 110. Never needed the extra space that a 110 rack would offer yet, this simply because of weight limitations.

Wikus

Hi All,

I've been looking for a rack for the 90 for a few weeks now, and there is one going near me for a 110 - standard box type galvanised, says it's 'believed to be' a brownchurch although it's obviously a few years old and doesn't look the same as those on their website. It's got 5 equally spaced legs (on each side).

I'm wondering if I'd be able to fit this to the 90, either by cutting it down to fit, or maybe fitting it full sized with additional front supports - either to the front corners of the wings, or angled back to the windscreen edge/bottom.

What do you think? I don't intend driving around with it all the time, only for trips, so would having the front extension and the additional supports make that too much hassle do you think - how are the extra support legs attached to the bodywork?

Any thoughts?

John

I was in the same boat, looking for one for a 90, when a 110 came up at a good price so I had it.

I toyed with the idea of fitting two diagonal legs from the front of the rack to the windscreen hinge as I loved the idea of all that space on top,

the luxury of being able to carry full 8x4 sheetsof plasterboard and plywood got me salivating, but in the end I reconed that for the few times in a year

that I actually need to carry 8x4 sheets of anything, then sod it, they can hang over the back, so to that end I chopped it with a disc cutter and now it is a 90 rack.

One tip though, don't just cut the end off but cut a section out of the middle and weld it up, then you have your nice front and back end.

Good luck.

Hi All,

Any thoughts?

John

Forgot to add, if you are going to leave it long then a good way of fixing it to the windscreen hinge is to drive out the roll pin in the hinge and replace it with a long bolt and fix the legs to this adding a nylock nut.