Wheel stuck!!!!!

Got stuck with a friend/colleagues defender (2002 td5) - wanting to swap the steering wheel for an after market one but for the life of us we can't get the original wheel off - I'd swear it has been welded on!!!

Using a puller just won't budge it

Any ideas folks.....

What i have tried before is using a suitable length of steel or solid bar and a hammer, hit the centre of the shaft that comes through the wheel while your friend pulls the wheel off

Be careful though becasue if the your friend is pulling hard, when the wheel releases it could come off with considerable force.

Tris

My idea may not be the most by the book way of removing the steering wheel, but the theoru behind it is this... Becasue the wheel is attached using a taper shaft every movement of the wheel pushes it on tighter, therefore putting a drift onto the shaft and hitting it creates a shock (which in theory may not prolong the life of the bearing) that is usually enough to cause the taper part of the shaft to come loose and with a friend pulling on the wheel helps it to come off. becasue you are using a drift and the nut is already removed you shouldnt destroy the thread.

BEWARE

I have used the "hit the end of it with a hammer"! method to good effect in the past and got off even stubborn wheels. BUT have also caused damage to a landrover one by deforming the collapsible part of the outer column causing the wheel to rub against the plastic cowling as the shaft was left an few mm shorter! The annoying squeak every time I turned the wheel was enough to convince me that the hammer method, while certainly effecvtive, may not have been the most suitable.....

Just got a call before going to work - puller is on front seat and wheel is still on vehicle!!! - obviously slipped off under tension overnight, and as pointed out above clearly not the correct tool for the job. I've pointed him to the one on eBay as a tenner is really next to nowt these days.

Many thanks for the help guys.

make your own puller, 5mm piece of steel, three holes in it, 2 to line up with the thread parts in the wheel, insert a bolt into each with a nut back against the outside (drivers side) of the 5mm plate. then use a largeish M12 bolt and screw it onto the centre part of the spline with a nut on the inside (steering wheel side) part of the 5mm plate.

so 1 large bolt pulling against two smaller ones via the plate and it should come off.