Disco dancing rev counter

Igol

I've noticed my 97 disco has developed a dreaded intermitant fault. The rev counter starts flopping around all over the place when I've my foot on the accelerator and drops to zero when its off. Obviously a fault, unless its doing its bit for global warming and shuts down when I take my foot off.

Is there going to be a bit expensive problem heading my way or am I looking at a nice simple 'clean contact 'x' up and it'll be fine'?

hi

my 200tdi was doing it

but when i disconected the alternator to do some welding when i put it back together it stoped doing it and has been fine since may

so you could try all the connections first but it could be the alternator playing up but as long as it's charging it not likely to be gone

I've noticed my 97 disco has developed a dreaded intermitant fault. The rev counter starts flopping around all over the place when I've my foot on the accelerator and drops to zero when its off. Obviously a fault, unless its doing its bit for global warming and shuts down when I take my foot off.

Is there going to be a bit expensive problem heading my way or am I looking at a nice simple 'clean contact 'x' up and it'll be fine'?

Incase it needed further confirmation - its probably a dying alternator. Has happened at least twice to me over the last 7 years (different disco's). look on the bright side, its an early warning system that alerts you to the fact you are going to be running on borrowed time with battery charging. In most other sub standard vehicles, the charging will just die all of a sudden, probably on a dark and rainy night up a quiet road somewhere :-)

Andy

hi there both my discos had this problem when I bought them just tweek the small wire on the back of the altanator worked for me.. good luck

hi

my 200tdi was doing it

but when i disconected the alternator to do some welding when i put it back together it stoped doing it and has been fine since may

so you could try all the connections first but it could be the alternator playing up but as long as it's charging it not likely to be gone

my alternator packed up today new one on it's way

I've cleaned up the fairly coroded terminals on the alternator and given it a quick squirt of oil and the rev counter looks like its stopped dancing.

Thanks for the advice though, looks like theres a few more miles left in the alternator yet :)