Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) draft manual

andyb

A quick scan of that document and it would appear that we have little to worry about and a few things are much clearer than in the previous system. So NO ABS is needed and a steering lock is an acceptable anti-theft device!. So basically anyone building a trayback or bob-tail will need a Basic IVA as it is "structurally modified" by an individual for personal use. All the checks on the basic IVA should be passable by any car that is basically the original vehicle so long as the inspector is happy with the workmanship of any structural changes. More radical builds such as Mouse or Mitsimog would obviously need serious consideration during the build process to make sure of compliance but there is nothing in there that can't be done. Lets hope this doesn't get thrown back as being too easy by the EU when it goes for approval.

I noticed under the PAS bit that you must be able to steer the vehicle without PAS working/engine off, so there would be a problem solely running a hydro-assist set up.....

Does that mean (as I havnt read it yet) that he reference to a mechanical link has been removed? I could install an electric pump to make it work, as it is it does still steer up to a point with the engine off.

Sorry Alan but the wording would seem to preclude that

"if the vehicle is fitted with power assisted steering than the system must still operate with the assistance disabled"

Maybe not, Most of the orbital valves used for steering do actually pump oil in there own right so they will steer without the P.A.S. pump, Heavy I admit but they will steer.

It does say that the test to be carried out on steering pads so weight of effort may not be too critical....

And to be honest there are a lot of cars out there that you simply wont turn the steering with the engine off and stationary!

Guest noggy
Maybe not, Most of the orbital valves used for steering do actually pump oil in there own right so they will steer without the P.A.S. pump, Heavy I admit but they will steer.
8. When the vehicle is driven at speeds above 10mph, there must be a degree of

steering “self centring” evident.

would there be self centering when relying on just the orbital valve?

or does that mean when the cars engines running and going 10mph, or is it rolling 10mph unpowered :huh:

Self centring should be a function of steering geometry regardless of type of steering system... hence you need to be moving to get the effect. This is why a lift on a LR tends to lead to steering vander and vagueness as you have changed the castor anglke and buggered up the self-centre effect

Does that mean (as I havnt read it yet) that he reference to a mechanical link has been removed? I could install an electric pump to make it work, as it is it does still steer up to a point with the engine off.

Mechanical link would be construction and use regs rather then SVA/IVA, wouldn't it? So you'd still have to comply with that.

The best part of the sva was the commercial vehicle option which exempted half of the test items.

Not sure if the load bay rules still apply, I have found the light commercial version.http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository...%20Vehicles.pdf

BTW I found it on this VOSA publications page, it lists several hundred downloadable documents. http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/publications.htm

That's a good find landmannnn. Doesn't look unreasonable at all and clearly set out. Heck, I might even start a vapuor build :)

This bit caught my eye though:

f. Rebuilt Vehicle

A vehicle that is a vehicle to which the Secretary of State is required by regulation to assign a vehicle identification number, and does not fall within the definition of an “Amateur Built” vehicle or “Vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle,” and has been rebuilt using a replacement chassis

or integral chassis/body which is of the same design and construction as that of the original vehicle and which was supplied for the purpose without having been previously used, or previously formed part of a registered vehicle.

Which seems to suggest vehicles rebuild on a new chassis, something I'm planning for the 90, will require an IVA though perhaps that is only if you don't retain enough of hte 15 points for parts when doing the rebuild.