4ins. Speakers.-Defender dash.

Need to get some new 4ins speakers for the front dash of my 90. Any recomendations?, the stereo is a reasonable Pioneer with cd changer, what I want needs to be robust and good - not all space age and looks!

By the way, what is the difference between co-axial and dual cone for sound quality?It was much easier in the 70's and 80's buying radios and stuff, confuses me now . Thanks again.

I'd use single cone speakers meself rather than ones with tweeters in - 4" is too small to worry about high range. cheaper too.

Little speakers like that will be tinny enough as it is without adding to it. Co axial or dual cone will add emphasis to different frequencies, but will get in the way of bass - not that you'll be getting much but on such a small cone you really dont need to emphasise the high frequencies.

If you can spare the space and like music, it's easy enough to make a couple of shoe box size MDF enclosures for the back for some 7" oval cones and it makes a real big difference.

my rear speakers are in the rear headliner just forward of the 2 small windows each side of the rear door.just taken these for you.:D

1st 2 are the right rear speaker, 2nd 2 are the left rear speaker.

Cheers Western much appreciated.

Thanks for your help again!!!!

Ally

Hi there 3 year ago I decided I was feed up with not being able to hear my music over my dam engine noise so decided to look for some powerful front speakers. I agree with the other chap that 4" is to small not worth bothering with as you will never get enough noise from them to be able to hear them over the engine. I looked at the next sizes up 5.25" and 6" the 6's were two big but the 5.25 fitts just great with some spacer rings and no cutting larger of the exsiting holes. Personaly I went for Componiant speakers as separates gave a much higher power output than all in one job. You should look at the speakers RMS output NOT the watts as the RMS is a speakers true output rather than what whatts are written on the box. In the end I went for componiants with a Amp & crossovers 150W RMS (350 wats) theese were the most powerfull 5.25" speakers I could find and came from the USA Its still not loud enough for a Landy doing 80MPH So I shortend my bench seats by 10in biult a cabnet and lined it with cheequer plate and in the top fitted four 6x9 speakers 1000W peak each run by a single amp and a subwoofer power acoustic MOFO in the bottom of the box 2400W peak 1000RMS run by a Power Acoustic Amp. ITS LOUD very LOUD cant even turn it half way up as the whole land rover starts to shake & vibrate but tell you what I cant even hear my engine when its on if the dam thing blew up I wouldnt hear it lol

Hope thats of some use Paul (remember look at the RMS wats not peak wats)

post-10229-1216476950_thumb.jpg

post-10229-1216477021_thumb.jpg

Hope thats of some use Paul (remember look at the RMS wats not peak wats)

But bear in mind that a speaker doesn't have an "output" as such. The RMS figure refers to the power handling capability. But even that can be misleading as speakers are more often damaged by overdriven low powered amps than high powered ones due to distortion components in the signal.

The two main variables that will affect volume are the power of the amplifier and the main factor is the efficiency of the speaker (measured in db at 1 metre for 1 watt input).

Simon

Yes as Simon says you do need the correct Amp to run them most manafactures will have there own thay will recomend to run there stuff. Its Better to have a pwoerfull amp and turn the power down than to use a weak amp. Oh I should allso add by puting such a powerfull system in and all my extra lights etc etc my alternator wasnt powerfull enough so had to have one specialy built

after a search of the pioneer website, I found my speakers on this archive page they are TS-G1010 model.

Great stuff all- very useful, many thanks. 'Sound advice' ya might say! Anyway. got some Pioneer G1010's now in the front which are good and put some big oval 'Fli' speakers into a pair of old Toshiba home speaker boxes- easily modified and not too big, these give the better bass as suggested. Just need to decide where to fix em in the back now, got yards of cable so no prob. but not that much room in a 90- with bench seats and seatbelts in the back- still, good progress today anyway. ;)

Blimey, it's a Land Rover Corsa, innit ! ;) ;)

Arrrrrrrr MO Mo MO what part of cheequer plate makes it like a Corsa????? Lost me on that one

Is a propper Landy mate has cost me over £10,000 re building it + the cost of the sterio system Yes a landy goes any where but lets do it with some decent sounds we can hear. Some landy owners like to not only make em upgraded for off road use (springs, shocks, polly bushes etc etc) but all so looks wise else companies like Ex moor trim, Crytec, Pattriot roof racks, etc etc etc would never sell anything. And any way my missus can talk for england well guess what not any more she cant LOL. Kids fighting in the landy argueing WHAT FIGHTING what argueing cant hear a soding thing except music pure music.

Just a **** hot sound system mate as love my music have over 4000 CD's every thing from clasical to Punk Dead Kenaddys etc etc . Realy love my music and a Land rovers so dam noisy the only way to listen to it was fit something thats far LOUDER than the engine ( & my missus) so did cost me £3,000 but worth every penny of it.

So dont get the Corsa comment MO ???? Tho did make my misses tiddle her self & nearly fall off her chair laughing NO JOKE. Any way Mo has got loads of the off road up grades as well so come and have a ride and a listen chap while OFF roading with **** hot sounds blasting you ear drums as you do YOU'LL LOVE IT MO LOL

Sighnbox, it was a reference to your speakers , not your Land Rover which looks to be a splendid piece of kit. :) Those big speakers are what one would see in the back of a Corsa, Saxo or similar hence Land Rover Corsa ....

Glad your Mrs. found it funny ;)

Mo