MAYDAY MAYDAY !! Window wont go up!!!

dougstar

Hope someone can help me on this please...........

Just been driving home from the tall ships (which we didn't see!) and my eldest decided to keep his finger jammed down on the window button :o

1st i didn't realise thios could have done any damage ??

anyway is has, it sounds like something is spinning when i press the up button but with the door card off etc i cannot see anything moving <_<

This must have happened to someone else? have i got to start stripping the door down or is there a eassierr method to keep my truck dry tonight?? (i dont really wanna go down the bag and duct tape route if i can help it

Any ideas welcome as i have not really a clue about window mechinisms

Despret Dougie

You could try pulling the glass up whilst someone else operates the switch to get the glass up for now, it sounds like a component has broken though so your going to have to strip it down at some point

You could try pulling the glass up whilst someone else operates the switch to get the glass up for now, it sounds like a component has broken though so your going to have to strip it down at some point

Tried that mate its solid

Going dark now and spitting (get the kids in!!) so one last try and may have to tape it up

Was there a clank or noise of something falling in the door? It sounds like the regulator mechanism has fallen apart. It is a relatively easy job to fix but very fiddly if you have big hands. Make sure that you have some torx bits to hand so that you can get the motor off the old regulator

Cheers

John

Was there a clank or noise of something falling in the door? It sounds like the regulator mechanism has fallen apart. It is a relatively easy job to fix but very fiddly if you have big hands. Make sure that you have some torx bits to hand so that you can get the motor off the old regulator

Cheers

John

Not sure about a clank or out dropping john but he still had his finger on the button as i heard dud dud du dud dud dud dud then when you try and raise the window its as if something is just spinning and i canny see out moving inside through cut outs

And yeah it all looks a bit fiddly in there thats why i didny wanna start anything now cause i,ll see me bum in the dark and start throwing stuff :angry: were they built by children cause there is no chance of me getting my sausage fingers in there !!

Thaks anyway john i,ll have to take a freash look in the morning now i think and i,ll take your comments on board

Dougie

i had a similar problem with my passenger window..It turned out that the mechanism had shed a (washer?) that runs along the runner, and the remains had lodged in a small hole inside the runner.

Anyway, a new regulator from Craddocks, 15 minutes of cutting my hands to shreds, getting the regulator the wrong way round, upside down..and plenty of swearing (anyone ever notice that despit your best efforts, those black plastic tabs on the inside of the door fascia always fly off when you try to prise it from the frame?) later....it's as good as new...eay job, but as already said..you need the hands of a child to reach in there

If you get the door card off then you can curse whilst trying to raise the window. You should be able to prop a length of wood in there to keep the window up. If you want to pop down to mine then I will happily scratch my head whilst you scratch your head :) Seriously, I replaced both the drivers and passengers door regulators.

I am located just off the A580 (Woodside pub at Ellenbrook)

I am not doing much this weekend so PM for my number and address if you want some help

Cheers

John

If you get the door card off then you can curse whilst trying to raise the window. You should be able to prop a length of wood in there to keep the window up. If you want to pop down to mine then I will happily scratch my head whilst you scratch your head :) Seriously, I replaced both the drivers and passengers door regulators.

I am located just off the A580 (Woodside pub at Ellenbrook)

I am not doing much this weekend so PM for my number and address if you want some help

Cheers

John

Thanks john i may take you up on the offer (thats the east lancs innit?) but i have the boys on my own in the morning then some dam wedding in the afternoon so i may have a go sunday morning with a thick head and see how i get on, if i get stuck i,ll get in touch for sure thanks again for the offer mate.icon_thumbs1.gif

Dougie

May have missed the boat on this time wise!

Have had the exact same problem on the Disco. It is soft metal of a cheapo regulator I put in; the motor winds the unit right to the end on the last tooth. Over a period of time the hard gear on the motor has started to make a new groove/tooth at the end of the regulator. The motor was fine as was the regulator along its whole length is fine bar just past the last tooth. The motor is basically winding to a point where it does not have enough purchase.

My cure was to take the regulator and motor out of the door bottom. Undo the motor from regulator and put gear back half way along the regulator. Put back together. I have put a block of wood at the bottom of the door to stop the window from winding the whole way, as a temporary measure.

The only proper cure would be to change the regulator or maybe a blob of weld at the very end of the regulator to stop the motor running too far.

Mark.

Yes it was the regulator had gone passed its limit!

So i got a bearmach one last night and tried to put it in but found they had supplied me with the wrong side :angry:

Have sent the bread knife over today to swap and she says he told her they are compatible look....did his magic and its swapped to fit a left hand side!!! didn't think this was possible i couldn't do it last nioght anyway!

Is this guy trying to have me over or has someone else done this swap?? just before i get on the phone and play heck with him and not for the first time i'm afraid

TIA Dougie

Yes it was the regulator had gone passed its limit!

So i got a bearmach one last night and tried to put it in but found they had supplied me with the wrong side :angry:

Have sent the bread knife over today to swap and she says he told her they are compatible look....did his magic and its swapped to fit a left hand side!!! didn't think this was possible i couldn't do it last nioght anyway!

Is this guy trying to have me over or has someone else done this swap?? just before i get on the phone and play heck with him and not for the first time i'm afraid

TIA Dougie

As far as I know they are different

yep thats what i thought and if you look on the likes of paddocks you will see two different part numbers for the two different sidea

But i can confirm that the bearmach model i have will fit (or at least seem to as i have not had the RH side off) either side

When you place it flat on the floor next to the old one it seems like the motor housing is back to front (and would indeed be for the other side) but if you take the mechinisim and push it all the way to the bottom then ever so slightly tease the motor houseing passed the bottom slide (the bit that fixes to the glass) then wapow! it now fits properly :P

I may be wrong in saying that it will fit the other side but i am only relaying my findings

Any way the regulator i thought was for the RH is now happily working fine on the LH and after a little vasaline :o in the runners its moving a treat now!

Thanks for you help guys

Dougie