Rear hubs

Hi,

When changing a wheel cylinder on my 1985 I noticed that the both rear hubs are wet with oil. It's not enough to contaminate the drums or shoes but it means with the wheels on both hub caps are permanently wet.

I'm not that experienced in such matters but want to give the repair a go. I'm assuming from previous posts that is either going to be the gasket or oill seal?

I also want to make sure that I have all the necessary parts to hand. Should I be replacing the wheel bearings at the same time (or anything else?).

I notice Les has a really helpful guide to replacing the front hub seals on the Technical Archive. Is the procedure exactly the same for the rears with drum brakes?

Many thanks,

Simon

When you say rear hub is wet, you mean the outside of the hub or the back plate?

Also check your axle breather isn't blocked, pressure can cause oil leaks.

It's the outside of the hub and hub cap. Back plate is dry.

Simon

check tighten the 5 bolts on each hub driving member the centre bit the black plastic cap fits on.

Apologies resurrecting this one but I still haven't resolved. I've tightened the five bolts but I don't think thats the problem area?

When I removed the hub caps there was a pool of a fairly light clean oil in them and it appears to be dripping from the area around the circlip by the splined shaft.

Where is the axle breather and what do I need to check here? If it's not that, do I safely assume its the hub oil seal thats failed and is that an easy job for a novice?

Thanks,

Simon

Apologies resurrecting this one but I still haven't resolved. I've tightened the five bolts but I don't think thats the problem area?

When I removed the hub caps there was a pool of a fairly light clean oil in them and it appears to be dripping from the area around the circlip by the splined shaft.

Where is the axle breather and what do I need to check here? If it's not that, do I safely assume its the hub oil seal thats failed and is that an easy job for a novice?

Thanks,

Simon

Good. At least the splines are getting lubricated. IMO that's how it should be.

mike

If it's on the outside-front, and it's not coming from the flange-hub joint where the 5 bolts are, it's probably the end cap itself, which does go brittle over time. new ones are a quid or so.

As mike says, its good to have some lubrication to the splines, more to the point, there's no seal apart from the cap to stop bearing lubrication reaching the splines.

If it's on the outside-front, and it's not coming from the flange-hub joint where the 5 bolts are, it's probably the end cap itself, which does go brittle over time. new ones are a quid or so.

As mike says, its good to have some lubrication to the splines, more to the point, there's no seal apart from the cap to stop bearing lubrication reaching the splines.

My hub caps are brittle and cracked. In my ignorance, I assumed the caps were only a dust seal. I'll buy some some new ones!!

Many thanks,

simon

having your splines lubed is good for them. try a new plastic end cap, drop it in hot water for a few minutes prior to fitting, then dry it & fit, give it a good push on to ensure it seats correctly, as it cools it will grip tighter.