Wipers Jammed

dome

Hello All

I'm having trouble with the wipers on my 1991 RRC. The wipers didn't park at first, then they started working really slowly when I first started her up but now they have stopped working completely. I've had some of the dash off and the motor is hot to the touch so I assume something has jammed. I've removed the fuse in the meantime to save burning it out.

It looks a right pain in the backside to remove the motor and/or linkage, has anyone got any tips on how to do this? Luckily my RRC isn't my daily driver so it's not urgent but Im in Scotland so wipers are a neccesity!

Cheers

Brian

Hello All

I'm having trouble with the wipers on my 1991 RRC. The wipers didn't park at first, then they started working really slowly when I first started her up but now they have stopped working completely. I've had some of the dash off and the motor is hot to the touch so I assume something has jammed. I've removed the fuse in the meantime to save burning it out.

It looks a right pain in the backside to remove the motor and/or linkage, has anyone got any tips on how to do this? Luckily my RRC isn't my daily driver so it's not urgent but Im in Scotland so wipers are a neccesity!

Cheers

Brian

A generous helping of Lithium grease on all the moving bits will do the trick mate ;)

Or just squirt somw WD40 in for now if you cannot access them but i,m sure you'll get in with a flexi grease gun nozzle

Dougie

A generous helping of Lithium grease on all the moving bits will do the trick mate ;)

Or just squirt somw WD40 in for now if you cannot access them but i,m sure you'll get in with a flexi grease gun nozzle

Dougie

Whereabouts do I get squirting then? I could only make out the motor when I was going in from under the dash, how do I access the linkage/gearbox for the wipers?

Yep, etting to the wiper motor is as you expected a complete pain.

Remove bonnet.

Secure sprung bonnet hinges in a down attitude (harder than it sounds) I use rope through the holes in the hinge and tie it down to the chassis rails. That gives you enough room to slide the decker panel forwards so you can get behind it.

Remove wiper arms and plastic shrouds.

Remove decker panel. Enjoy getting to those two bolts on top of the wings :lol: and don't forget the screws into the door frame / bulkhead.

Detach linkage from motor assembly.

Extract motor from bulkhead.

Be aware that if you go for a second hand spare (new are about £100 IIRC) that the multiplug connector varies from Disco to Rangie and of course in standard Land Rover fashion, from year to year.

Refitting is the etc. etc. :lol:

Hope this helps!