welding course - 34 evening one or intensive 4 day course?

soutie

My local college run two different welding course.

1. 34 weeks @ 4 hours a time. Learn how to arc, mig, tig weld in a whole class room. Welding down and across, sideways and above.

2. 4 days @ 8 hours each with individual teaching. Can choose which sort of welding to learn.

On phoning to enquire the chap stated that he has quite a few people at the end of the fourth day on course 2 take the coded welding certificate and pass.

I only want to learn how to weld so I can choose which welder to buy to maintain my 110.

Which one would everybody recommend to go on?

My local college run two different welding course.

1. 34 weeks @ 4 hours a time. Learn how to arc, mig, tig weld in a whole class room. Welding down and across, sideways and above.

2. 4 days @ 8 hours each with individual teaching. Can choose which sort of welding to learn.

On phoning to enquire the chap stated that he has quite a few people at the end of the fourth day on course 2 take the coded welding certificate and pass.

I only want to learn how to weld so I can choose which welder to buy to maintain my 110.

Which one would everybody recommend to go on?

No 2

1:2:1 Training (if thats what it is x4 days @ 4 hours) would be a LOT of training,

If you do class stlyee then its you vs loads of other muppets all wanting instructors time :(

Nige

I'm thinking of taking a course to see if I can improve on the current 'stick it with pigeon sh~t standard'.

Do you mind me asking how much the courses are? Not my region but it'd give me a rough idea.

Cheers

Hattymender.

The 34 week course is about £350. The four day intensive is about £550. The way my wife has put it I can have it as a group Birthday and Christmas present with me contributing a bit as well. I have already started saving.

Cheers

Peter

Well, the one to one attention does sond good, but I just booked a 36 week course (two nights per week) on the basis that I can practice in-between 'lessons' and really try to absorbe what I'm supposed to have learned. A short course doesn't give you time to do that and you risk forgetting more info (IMHO), plus you only have 4 days to come up with questions / things you get stuck on, and no matter how intensive, there's only so far you'll progress over 4 days in contrast to a full academic year.

Just some thoughts!

By the way Nige - Fridge has a tube for you... So to speak. ;)

Al.

Orange, not a bad idea however I have booked for the 4 day course for the February half term before I saw all your replies. I have unfortunetly left the book at work so I will post the dates, cost and the contact person's name to whom I spoke to at Bridgwater College tomorrow.

When I spoke to him he stated that they did the 4 day course over the half terms when the students were not at the College.

Cheers

Peter

The course that I have booked for is:

Fast Track Welding £569 (£0)

I spoke to Dave Beaver on tel no. 01278-441290

This popular course is designed to provide your staff with 'fast track skilling' in the welding type or method of your choice. One-to-one tuition enables us to offer a very wide range of possibilities including MIG, TIG, Gas or Arc. This course also forms an ideal primer for NVQ qualifications.

Entry Requirement: Basic engineering skills.

28 hours x 1 weeks Time:09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Day(s): Mon - Thurs Start Date: 16/02/2009 RS006/081C

Other course dates are as follows:

28 hours x 1 weeks Time:09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Day(s): Mon - Thurs Start Date: 18/08/2008 RS006/081A

28 hours x 1 weeks Time:09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Day(s): Mon - Thurs Start Date: 27/10/2008 RS006/081B

28 hours x 1 weeks Time:09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Day(s): Mon - Thurs Start Date: 06/07/2009 RS006/081E

28 hours x 1 weeks Time:09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Day(s): Mon - Thurs Start Date: 06/04/2009 RS

Further information about the course.

Who is the course for?

Designed to meet the needs of local industry, this course provides companies and individuals, with fast track skilling in a range of welding types and methods.

What will I study?

One to one tuition allows us to offer a wide range of possibilities including MIG, TIG, GAS and ARC.

What will I need for the course?

Since the course is 85% practical you will need overalls and appropriate footwear. Safety equipment is provided.

What makes this course special?

Highly intensive four day experience with College Certificate.

How will I be assessed?

There is no direct assessment with this short course. However, delegates will be expected to complete a set of welding assignment.

Will this course lead to a qualification?

The course can be used as an NVQ primer – continuing an NVQ level II on return to the company. Delegates are provided with a College Certificate.

How long is the course?

4 days x 1 week on demand. Please contact our Course Enquiries team for further details.

How much will it cost?

The course fee, which includes tuition and assessment fees is £569 on enrolment for all students. If you have to pay the College more than £150, you may be able to take advantage of our instalment payment or Direct Debit scheme.

Students who are receiving income based benefits or who are on a low income may also be eligible to apply for our Learner Support Fund, which can help towards compulsory course costs and/or contribute to the daily cost of travel to and from College. We also have a fund for childcare, which you would again need to apply for via Student Support Team. These funds are limited so early application is advisable.

Please contact Student Support Team on 01278 441233 or email studentsupport@bridgwater.ac.uk for details of possible sources of funding to help you study. Course fees may not apply to overseas students.

How do I find out more?

Contact Bridgwater College, Bath Road, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 4PZ Tel: 01278 441234

Web: www.bridgwater.ac.uk email: enquiries@bridgwater.ac.uk