TD5 Noisy Fuel Pump

Disco2Steve5

Hi,

Anyone out there had any experience of a noisey fuel pump on their TD5. Mine started whining about a month ago, I waited to see if it noise would go away but it hasn't. Changed the fuel filter hoping this would do the trick, but made no difference except for a noticable improvement in acceleration. Concluded it was probably the fuel pump on its way out so sourced an after market pump (1/2 cost of a genuine LR pump). Fitted the new pump, bleed the system, started up with no problems but still really noisey. Lots of gurgling prior to engine running then very audible whining inside the cabin and at the back of the vehicle. Spoke to the parts supplier (Aber 4x4) and got another new pump in exchange. Fitted it and still no improvement, still really noisey, embarassingly noisey, my wife would'nt drive the car any more !!!

I'm stumped !!! I changed the fuel pressure regulator on the vehicle about 12 months after it started leaking, so have discounted this as the likely source. Can't think what else to try, other than maybe an injector cleaner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks.

Check the fuel pipes. They are prone to chafing on the chassis/bodywork and let air in. Common point is where they bend down over the fuel tank

Thanks for the reply, I'll certainly look at the fuel lines. I was wondering though, if the fuel pipes were chafed, would'nt they be leaking fuel ?

Thanks for the reply, I'll certainly look at the fuel lines. I was wondering though, if the fuel pipes were chafed, would'nt they be leaking fuel ?

If you get a tiny hole in the pipe then you wouldn't get a large amount of fuel out but it would let enough air in to cause problems