NATO Hitch?

Guest diesel_jim

do you mean will it be OK to mount the NATO hitch on top of the drop place (sandwiching the drop plate between the hitch and the rear crossmember) and using slightly longer bolts to hold the lot together?

then a normal 50mm ball further down the drop plate for a normal trailer?

yeah, no problem.

Guest diesel_jim
Is a ring hitch not illegal when used in non commercial purposes?

a NATO ring? not that i've heard of. surely better than a 50mm ball or agricultural pin type i'd have thought?

Is a ring hitch not illegal when used in non commercial purposes?

Can't see why a ring hitch wouldn't be fully legal, I tow my speclift trailer with the nato pintle & matching ring, never had any problems, it's much stronger & locked when the trailer is attached, so safer as the trailer cannot become detached.

the normal ball/pin hitches & smaller rings are legal otherwise they wouldn't be on the market.

all drawbar HGV's [not artics] use a ring & pin type hitch, so if it's good enouh for 38tonne trucks.

Guest WALFY
Can't see why a ring hitch wouldn't be fully legal, I tow my speclift trailer with the nato pintle & matching ring, never had any problems, it's much stronger & locked when the trailer is attached, so safer as the trailer cannot become detached.

the normal ball/pin hitches & smaller rings are legal otherwise they wouldn't be on the market.

all drawbar HGV's [not artics] use a ring & pin type hitch, so if it's good enouh for 38tonne trucks.

My point was in a non commercial application. So HGV will be commercial. Not sure how you fit in. Do you do the recovery for reward of purely for the love of it? If you get paid in any form then it's commercial.

My use is for my motors[port hobby, don't get paid like a commercial recovery company,

with all the nato hitches in daily use in civvy street I'm sure if VOSA/Police thopught they were dangerous they would be clamping down on the use of non-military use.

might be something in www.ntta.co.uk

do you mean will it be OK to mount the NATO hitch on top of the drop place (sandwiching the drop plate between the hitch and the rear crossmember) and using slightly longer bolts to hold the lot together?

then a normal 50mm ball further down the drop plate for a normal trailer?

Yeap that's exactly what I mean!

yeah, no problem.

Brilliant