swivel ball

mscowley

hi all i'm new on here and i have just got a 1992 discovery 200tdi in fearly good nik just got a few things to do on it one being the swivel pin bearing and seal on the ball but i'm not sure which size the swivel ball is as they list two size balls. is it that i aint going to find out till i take it off cause if so i cant do that its my only vehicle.

please help

Matt

My experience of Disco/Range Rover/Defender has only ever thrown up one size of swivel ball. Try ringing up a supplier and quoting your VIN and year of manufacture. That might give them something to go on.

HTH

Adrian

Hi Matt, I have approved your last two posts. Although this is the best technical Land Rover 4x4 forum and we do appreciate your posts, we would also appreciate your use of the shift key. I do assume your computer has one.

Could you also change your profile to say where you come from as that will help other members to help you, and if you put the type of LR you own into your signature you will not have to repeat that with every question.

Don't take this too seriously, we are a bunch of helpful guys and welcome you to the forum :)

Not sure on the seal thickness. Again, I've only come across 1 type. I bought them for a Range Rover and they got used on a Discovery by my brother in an hour of need. The replacement Discovery ones he bought me got used on my Defender....... Maybe try ringing a Main Dealer and asking for the part numbers... Or, drop Ralph (u/name Western) a PM on here. He's the part number guru. There may be a difference between 10 and 24 sline axles, but I don't think there is...

The number and thickness of shim/shims will depend on the swivel pre-load when you put it all back together. Memory tells me (but I don't rely on it so you should check) that the preload should be between 8 and 10kg when it's ll back together. You'll need a spring balance to set it properly.

Personally, I would order all the bits you need from a LR dealer or Bearmach and add a few shims into the package, too. That way, you will get decent stuff. I've heard good things about Island 4x4, but have never used them so don't know what quality parts they supply.

I would also use EP90 instead of the 1-shot grease. That's just personal preference, but it's a lot cleaner WHEN you have to take it all apart again!!

For bits like this, the Haynes manual is quite useful and gives you all of the torque settings to use as not everything has to be done up F tight!!

HTH

Adrian