Rounded Bolts

Zeph

Hi,

I have a 300tdi which developed a bad leak near the waterpump the other day, on closer inspection it seems to be coming

from the P gasket.

So following the thread in the technical archive I set about doing the job myself.

Firstly I struggled to remove the bolts from the water pump pulley (the belt tension wasn't enough to hold it) I then went on

to the power steering pulley, but the bolts wont move (i've heated the bolts with a blowtorch) and they have started to round off :o .

Anyone any suggestions ?

Also can the fan be removed easily without the belt being attached ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

lashings of WD40 / Easol / any good penertrating fluids a few times and give it time to soak in and do its job etc etc and a decent 6point socket

Dougie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I've soaked the bolts with plusgas overnight and still no joy, I tried hammering on a 3/8 socket and managed to break 2 sockets.

I'm going to buy some Irwin bolt removers and give them a try, has anyone used them ?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I've soaked the bolts with plusgas overnight and still no joy, I tried hammering on a 3/8 socket and managed to break 2 sockets.

I'm going to buy some Irwin bolt removers and give them a try, has anyone used them ?

I've got the full set of Irwin removal tools. Apart from the name, they appear to be identical to the Snap On set that a mate has - but about a 1/4 of the price.

I've used them in anger a number of times now and can honestly say they are brilliant. They are impact rated if you need it too.

You may need to gently persuade them onto the fitting with a hammer to get them started, but I've not failed to undo something with them.

Matt

I've got the full set of Irwin removal tools. Apart from the name, they appear to be identical to the Snap On set that a mate has - but about a 1/4 of the price.

I've used them in anger a number of times now and can honestly say they are brilliant. They are impact rated if you need it too.

You may need to gently persuade them onto the fitting with a hammer to get them started, but I've not failed to undo something with them.

Matt

Cheers !

Also can the fan be removed easily without the belt being attached ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Zeph,

On my 300 Tdi the viscous fan is loosened by using a no 32 flat open end spanner (very flat), by tapping the spanner clock-wise (diesels's fan has left-hand thread). A tap on a bolt head, before loosening the bolt some times also does the trick.

Good luck with the loosening process (pain).

I had exactly the same problem with mine on Saturday but it was only 1 bolt on the steering pump that would not budge.

I took it to Teesdale Landrovers this morning and they got it by giving the bolt head a sharp tap with a hammer then using a 6 point 3/8 socket.

And it only cost me 1 pint of beer :rolleyes:

Well ordered the bolt removers from Amazon today and got an email saying delivery by the 5th of August :o

I should have read terms before ordering.

Anyway I'm going to clean the intercooler whilst i'm waiting.

Thanks for all the replies

Well the bolt removers turned up today, and I picked up a strap wrench from maplins to hold the pulley.

Still no joy though, the bolt removers are a fair bit smaller than the rounded bolts and with the fan and cowling still

attached theres not enough room to whack it with a hammer.

So I'm going to order new bolts for the pulley and a fan spanner.

I'll probably have to wait until after the baby's born to try again though (she was due a week last Wednesday, the missus is being induced on Monday)

thanks again for all the replies