I need a new baby seat for 9 months to 4 years.

I need a new baby seat for the age range 9 months to 4 years (or better still 9 months to 11 years). It's needed for the rear seat of an (internally) standard 4 Door 95 300 series Disco.

My wife and I have spent the weekend trawling baby seat suppliers to no avail. The position of the seatbelt mount on the wheel arch means that the seats all have lateral movement. I was told by one supplier to move the seat belt mount further back on the wheel arch or better still mount it onto the boot floor. Both of these positions will pull the seat back into the rear seat and will eliminate lateral movement.

Now the Discos ( and RRC's) are frequently used as family buses so there must be LR4x4'ers in the same boat.

My quesions are.......

What seats do you use for the age range 9 months to 4 years?

Has anybody relocated the seat belt mounts? If so - what seat do you use?

How does this affect the MOT?

Thanks in advance.

moving the seatbelt mounts shouldn't be done as it will affect how they work when a adult is in the seat & the vehicle won't then comply with the relevany regulations & approvals.

I was told by one supplier to move the seat belt mount further back on the wheel arch or better still mount it onto the boot floor
the supplier shouldn't be giving this info out to customers.

We have 2 different Maxi-cosi seats for our 14 month old baby ('cos we've got two cars, not 'cos we're flash) we've got a Priori, and a Tobi.... both fit in the back of my 300Tdi Disco with out any problems, and both sit flat and level.

the person who told you to move the seat belt mount should not be selling kiddie seats to the public, as moving seat belt mounts is both illegal and dangerous.

Maxi Cosi seats aint cheap, but are worth every penny, they are well made and very tough.

One of the main reasons I sold our Discovery was due to this. We couldn't get a decent fitting rear facing seat for our baby, and looking at the ones for later I wasn't happy with any of them even the ones which stated they fitted still weren't the best ever.

I don't think moving the seat belts is illegal (think about series owners, you mount them wherever is sound) but I would have thought it would affect your insurance, you would have to tell them and I doubt they'd fancy insuring you after. I wouldn't recommend moving though.

One of the main reasons I sold our Discovery was due to this. We couldn't get a decent fitting rear facing seat for our baby, and looking at the ones for later I wasn't happy with any of them even the ones which stated they fitted still weren't the best ever.

Our old Mothercare rear facing seat only went in the front of the 200Tdi as the rear belts weren't long enough. It fitted perfectly into the Td5 though. The Front facing Maxi Cosi fits both very well as the belt runs behind the baby seat, and therefore doesn't need to be so long.

I would say that the 300 series is better than 200 series though as the seats are firmer and therefore prevent the baby seat moving, but the Maxi Cosi has a tensioning device that squashes the seat down into the seat.

How about fitting the later, longer, internal reel bits off the Td5 into the 200/300 series to overcome the problem, it's got to be better than moving mounting points. Alternatively I have heard of seat belt extensions for this use - Honda did them after they realised that some of their family cars couldn't accomodate a baby seat :lol:

Our old Mothercare rear facing seat only went in the front of the 200Tdi as the rear belts weren't long enough. It fitted perfectly into the Td5 though. The Front facing Maxi Cosi fits both very well as the belt runs behind the baby seat, and therefore doesn't need to be so long.

I would say that the 300 series is better than 200 series though as the seats are firmer and therefore prevent the baby seat moving, but the Maxi Cosi has a tensioning device that squashes the seat down into the seat.

How about fitting the later, longer, internal reel bits off the Td5 into the 200/300 series to overcome the problem, it's got to be better than moving mounting points. Alternatively I have heard of seat belt extensions for this use - Honda did them after they realised that some of their family cars couldn't accomodate a baby seat :lol:

Mine was a 300tdi and the front seats were out of the question due to the Airbags, the rear seat belts just weren't long enough to accommodate anything

http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/96065514.html

seat belt extenders - adds up to 16" in length to your existing belt.

or

http://www.bestautobits.com/cart.php?targe...;product_id=746

adds 70cm to your belt and imho looks nicer

seems a crying shame to sell the whole car just cos a belt is too short to fit a baby seat.

The instructions to the Mothercare seat we got said not to use the seatbelt extenders as they changed the way the forces were applied.

I got a better car so can't complain! :lol: