the old suspension hmmmm's

ok so i hav a 3.5V8 90 and was out for itslast maiden voyage today before getting a new chassis ... and basically a bit of a restoration.

So iv been thinking of what suspension to use and well heres my veiws:

scorpion extreme kit . . . good articulation ..does the job ....................but VERY EXPENSIVE

Gwyn Lewis challenge kit ... good all round kit which everyone likes and the service is good

llama 4x4 ... One of the guys at my club has this suspension kit and performs pretty well !

DIY job ... peice together bits and alot of hours later and a little less money and some good performance ... maybe??

so the question is what do you guys think of the Rough country shocks from llama 4x4 ??

what do you think about the gwyn lewis kit and the rough country shocks??

i also thought about the x-eng . x-springs would these also work well with the gwyn lewis kit?? and the rough countries??

i think i will put the scorpion kit int eh bin considerin the price :blink:

thanks

p.s. if anyone has any ideas other than my questions please put them forward :ph34r:

thanks again

yup thats what i was thinking and if you really want to push the boat out get the mega dulux performance kit

josh

Are you serious?? It'd be a good way to waste five grand I suppose.

You'll get marginal benefit from the Equipe performance kit over Gwyn's kit. Use different rear arms and adjustable a frame joint on Gwyn's kit and you'll get none.

wee_arthur - The Rough Country shocks are a 'budget' shock. If you can afford it, go for a better designed and engineered shock like OME.

Gywn's kit has the benefit of simple design and you can use the same shock all round so has a spares benefit.

The X-springs will maximise your travel, and personally I find their major benefit is that you can use springs designed for on road handling without having to make any compromises off road.

Cheers

Steve

A very wise move sir.

Nige (Hybrid_From_Hell) has a bitsa setup that seems to work rather well, better in fact than many of the "extreme" stuff I've seen.

Anyone care to elabourate on this bitsa setup? Sounds interesting. ;)

Cheers

Mick

Thanks alot guys ... so iv established that a gwyn lewis challenge kit with ome shocks is the best and probably the best deal for the money.

Yes i am also pondering about this 'bitsa setup' ???

could anyone explian ?? ;)

thanks again

Anyone care to elabourate on this bitsa setup? Sounds interesting. ;)

Cheers

Mick

bitsa this kit, bitsa that kit, bitsa home made stuff......... can work out alot cheaper than a "full kit" and tailored to your own personal tastes and requirements.

when i redo my suspension, i'm going to carry on using genuine LR springs (there are so many varying lengths and spring rates available, i dont see the point in paying top dollar for aftermarket springs when there are genuine ones that will do the job for half the price),

but i fancy using the D44 rear swivel shock mounts cos i keep mullering shock bushes. I also like the QT cranked trailing arms and the X-eng A frame ball joint. But i also like the front twin shock towers from paddocks (proper cheap but does the job i'm sure). And i'll carry on using my home made dislocation cones and HD drag link bars.

So rather than buying off the shelf kits - some of the components you may not really need or want or could make yourself - you can shop around for the bits you DO want and get the best prices from different retailers.

Cheers Nick.

I do understand what a bitsa set up is, but I was wondering what 'bits' were used so to speak.

Is there a link to the spring rate and length's anywhere? Wouldn't mind playing around with OE parts from differnt land rovers as it would keep my insurance low, which is always a +!

Regards

Mick