I've holed my front axle!

On inspection after off roading I noticed a hole in the front axle. It is on the upper side of the casing near the swivel hub below the suspension, about a half cm in each direction. No idea how I did it but it goes all the way through the metal.

What would be the best way to repair, just a simple weld?

Cheers,

Paul

is it directly below the shock absorber bottom pin, If Yes sounds like the shock pin has been hitting the casing & worn through. a eld repair should sort it, but strip the side down to protect seals/bearing/bushes & change the shock bushes & shave a bit off the bottom of the shock pin to give some clearance to prevent a rerun

I will check it properly when I fly back Ralph. I only just remembered this damage when making my never ending list of repairs. Fortunately I have met a bunch of guys in a local general garage that are quite handy welders so will get them to tackle this job. Yes, I'm pretty sure it was directly below the damper so will check the components you mention. The suspension has taken some really hard knocks over the last few weeks, but I was surprised to see damage like this.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul

I will check it properly when I fly back Ralph. I only just remembered this damage when making my never ending list of repairs. Fortunately I have met a bunch of guys in a local general garage that are quite handy welders so will get them to tackle this job. Yes, I'm pretty sure it was directly below the damper so will check the components you mention. The suspension has taken some really hard knocks over the last few weeks, but I was surprised to see damage like this.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul

Your bottom shock bushes may be worn, allowing the damper to move up and down

worth checking

josh

On inspection after off roading I noticed a hole in the front axle. It is on the upper side of the casing near the swivel hub below the suspension, about a half cm in each direction. No idea how I did it but it goes all the way through the metal.

What would be the best way to repair, just a simple weld?

Cheers,

Paul

The welding done (from factory) on rover front axles is awfully, so if the hole is in conjunction with the factory weld this is some of the explanation...

Welding the hole shut should not be a problem, however you would want to use some serious welding equipment. I would use a amperage setting of about 250 amps to weld axle casings. (Can be done with less, but it takes more time and more skill.)

BTW ... Make sure that the welding current dosent flow though bearings or other moveable parts... The earth clamp should be fastened to the axle casing just near the place you are welding. Would probably be a good idea to remove the whole swirvel assembly - to prevent heat damage on the oil seal and weld spatter on the chrome surface on the swirvels...

Thanks for the tips. I wish I could give more info, but I haven't got my LR with me. I promise to add a photo to this post when I get back. My cousin is a mechanic and he will have a look too. How knows about welding so will take him along with me to the local garage when they fix it. I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Paul