Strange question about wiper motor Range Rover Classic

I am installing a wiring harness, wiper switch and intermittent wipe unit from a completely different vehicle in my Range Rover project. THe Range Rover wiper motor I have is from a 1976 model. It has 5 spade terminals.

Having been probing around with my test lamp, the vehicle that the control gear appears to use switched ground wires . In other words, rather than the different speeds being selected by applying + down one or other wire to the motor, the motor is live and the grounds are routed via the switch. (not sure why)

I would imagine the Range Rover motor would still run if I connected it up like for like and the armature would run in the opposite direction. Does anyone know if it would still run ok like this or would the park mechaism work all wrong, and would it put pressure on components (thrust washers,bearings etc) in side the motor that were not designed to have that pressure on as the force (example endways force on motor spindle being the other way)

my other 2 alternatives would be

a: try and install motor from donor vehicle, looks very tricky, as different shape etc

b: rewire switch , but i'd have to junk the existing variable intermittent wipe setup and find one from a late Range Rover. (anyone know if the motors themselves are still the same right up til say 1994?)

I suspect if you ran the motor backwards the park switch may break as it tried to go the wrong way on its cam.

You would also have to find a way to isolate the whole wiper mechanism as the case would now be live.

The five wires are 4 blades vertical and one across the top which is pin 1.

Below left is 3 and right 2. Below again left is 5 and right 4.

1. Earth

2. Intermittent. I suspect this just moves it out of park then goes of leaving the wiper to park itself.

3. High speed

4. +12v For park

5. Low speed

Steve

motor seems to run backwards fairly happily and it also seems the casing is not earthed .. so far so good, but do you have the wire colours for these motors, what colour does what funciton on the motor? the factory diagram is rather unhelpful. It just shows them going into the motor but no schematic of the internal motor workings.

The five wires are 4 blades vertical and one across the top which is pin 1.

Below left is 3 and right 2. Below again left is 5 and right 4.

1. Earth Black

2. Intermittent. I suspect this just moves it out of park then goes of leaving the wiper to park itself. Brown/light green

3. High speed Blue/light green

4. +12v For park White/light green

5. Low speed Red/light green

Steve

Brill!! Zackly what I wanted, thanks !!!

So it looks like when you turn off the wipers and they have reached the bottom of the screen, the park switch not only disconnects the power but grounds out the motor winding to stall the motor quicker. That explains why there are 5 wires. Eureka!

Can't see an intermittent wipe unit on the diagram, is that what connects to the A in the triangle? Is the intermittent wipe unit on a different page?

• 2 weeks later...

ok i found some time today to knuckle down and get to the bottom of this. I just couldn't understand why it wouldn't work, the motors are basically the same design electrically, Then after about 2 hours of drawing diagrams, testing voltages with my test lamp and scratching my head I realised what the problem was, THE RANGE ROVER WIRING DIAGRAM WAS WRONG! They had two of the colours wrong (swapped) So I moved the wires to where my testing indicated... instantly the whole thing works perfectly! All functions, park , lo, hi, intermittent, variable delay all work. (and motor is running backwards :) Right, on to the next bit of the project then I suppose.

• 9 years later...

will, why didn't you specify, which exactly wires are swapped? have you found the intermittent wipe unit?  I wonder if 1987 m.y. wiper is any different from this one? In mine, fuses are blowing out instantly, and I can't understand what's the cause...

This thread dates from 2008 & it looks like will's last visit was in July 2013 so I suspect a reply is unlikely.

If fuses are blowing instantly you almost certainly have a short to earth. Finding it will be the fun. I believe installing a headlight bulb in place of the fuse - bit of soldering to connect some wires & appropriate connectors to the bulb to fit the fuse holder - will enable you to disconnect various things round the circuit. A wiggle test of the wires might help . When/if the bulb goes out you've found the contact to earth that shouldn't be there.

Edited by paintman