Need advice on fixings for bonnet-mounted spare wheel

Effortless

Hi,

I hope someone on here can give advice on the proper fixings to be used for a bonnet mounted spare... as in fixing the dished plate itself to the bonnet.

Most of the ones I see are pop-rivetted. Is this really strong enough?? My heap is a Series II SWB with a razor edge bonnet, and I was hoping to mount my spare on the bonnet to free up some space. However, I am running Wolf rims with General SAG crossplies, and it's a very heavy combination.

Any ideas what might be strong enough and safe enough?

Thanks,

Effortless.

Guest diesel_jim

The series bonnet mounts have been riveted on since dinosours were in nappies, so i suppose it must be strong enough.

if you were really concerned you could substitute a few of the rivets for bolts, and either use repair washers or get a piece of plate the same size as the mount and bolt it underneath.

Before you butcher your bonnet, have you tried the spare on the bonnet to check you can see over it ok?

5.5" rims are ok with 7.50's on but I found a wider rim with a 235 really obscured forward vision and I went for a swingaway on the back in the end.

Might be different on a series with the dished bit, and on a 90 the rubber seating blocks stand an inch high, but worth bearing in mind.

Before you butcher your bonnet, have you tried the spare on the bonnet to check you can see over it ok?

Cheers Eightpot,

yes, I have checked (only when stationary though, with the tyre just sat on the bonnet!!) I am 6'5" though, so visibility is not too bad for me.

Effortless.