Spare Wheel

i currently have my spare wheel mounted on my back door.

I was thinking of putting it on my bonet using bolts etc holding it on rear door.

Is it easy to do or do i need new parts to do it ? there are 3 bolts which hold it on.

Any problems with extra weight on bonet??

Also i would have to repair the holes in rear door.

Cheers

Ally

I was thinking of putting it on my bonet using bolts etc holding it on rear door.

Is it easy to do or do i need new parts to do it ? there are 3 bolts which hold it on.

Cheers

Ally

There is a kit to fit the spare to the bonnet, if yours is a pre Puma model then there are usually plenty of bonnets with spare wheel mounts already fitted available. The door can be made good by simply riveting an aluminium plate over where the mount was.

This has been covered before so you might find some other useful info by using the search.

There is a kit to fit the spare to the bonnet, if yours is a pre Puma model then there are usually plenty of bonnets with spare wheel mounts already fitted available. The door can be made good by simply riveting an aluminium plate over where the mount was.

This has been covered before so you might find some other useful info by using the search.

Cheers for help, will try to find something on that already.

Not sure if pre Puma, how can i find out its 1988 90. Where is best to find the kit or spare bonnets?

1988 is straightforward defender - you could also look at taking one off a bonnet from an older series motor - if there'd anyone that breaks landys near you should be about £5! - then fit it to your bonnet using small nuts/bolts - don't use pop rivets...

Not all the newer bonnets can take the heavy wheel IIRC. Can't say for the 1988 but certainly newer ones aren't stiff enough.

The bonnet mounting also obscures your view to some degree, making the car harder to place in tight spots. It's also a PITA to lift up the bonnet with all the weight of the wheel on it (and don't let it come down on your head!).

That said, it definitely looks better on the bonnet IMHO and it takes the weight off the back door.

Cheers

Ally

Was it not made illegal in some way to carry the wheel on the bonnet due to restricting the view of the road ?

Not heard that before, it was still a option on pre Td5 90/110's LR don't fit bonnet mount kits any more from Td5 on as parts of the very high pressure injection system are very close to the bonnet underside & next to no clearance for the brackets.