EGR Air vacuum filter, what does it do?

andy d

My wife noticed a small clear plastic thing in the engine bay that was connected to a hose at the lower end but nothing at the other.

I've looked through a few images and found out it's and Egr vacuum air filter thingie?

It's obviuosly there for a good reason, will it cause any problems being removed or do I need to get it sorted Asap, I can see where it attaches to, but can't attach it as the end doesn't appear. fit properly.

My wife noticed a small clear plastic thing in the engine bay that was connected to a hose at the lower end but nothing at the other.

I've looked through a few images and found out it's and Egr vacuum air filter thingie?

It's obviuosly there for a good reason, will it cause any problems being removed or do I need to get it sorted Asap, I can see where it attaches to, but can't attach it as the end doesn't appear. fit properly.

well 36 views so far and no replies, your all obviously as thick as me....lol.

If this was a defender it would be answered in no time as those guys tend to know their stuff.

Hello!

pends where you are on the engine.....

there is a small clear(ish) plastic filter on the rear of the engine easily seen from the drivers side which is attached at one end but not at the other.

its a breather filter only so there is no other hose that has dropped off.

Hello!

pends where you are on the engine.....

there is a small clear(ish) plastic filter on the rear of the engine easily seen from the drivers side which is attached at one end but not at the other.

its a breather filter only so there is no other hose that has dropped off.

Thanks Rustymark.

It's the correct one your speaking about.

I checked it against another freelander which the owner was kind enough to show me. The small filter is a breather which should be open to the atmosphere at one end, I had attached it to another breather which should have been the same which is a small black metal gooseneck pipe just above where the filter should be fixed.

I noticed a bit of grey smoke after a couple of days with these two bits joined together. oops!

When I seen the error I had made I changed it back and all was well again.