How much airflow is required???

Mark

In my quest to get enough space to fit a second battery into my 300 tdi doscovery, I have cleared out the front nearside corner to give me enough space to get a bettery in.

In doing this, I have had to remove the cold air duct from the inner wing to the airbox:

gallery_92_604_68131.jpg

I have also rerouted some wiring and the vacuum pipe to the pump for the cruise control as you can see.

Up till now, I have been thinking along the lines of fitting a snorkel in order to get a decent cold air feed, however, with a battery in place, I am wondering if i could get away with a simpler solution? (The battery is not hard up against the inner wing)

gallery_92_604_117007.jpg

If I were to modify the intake on the airbox to shroud the engine side, and to decrease the restriction on the side nearest the inner wing, would this draw in sufficient cold air or would it still be drawing heat soaked air from the engine bay?

Opinions greatly appreciated.

NB it's a 96 TDI with EDC and a high flow intercooler...

Cheers

Mark

Mo, I tried nicking the airbox off the White disco, but I can't mount it in such a way that it lines up with the AFM, and the bonnet closes. :(

Gneral layout, in case it helps - lots of other gubbins in the way!

gallery_92_604_70555.jpg

been investigating several options around airboxes and snorkels, but so far nothing quite works.... :(

Mark

P38 V8 airbox may work as they are in a similar position but the

'air in' inlet is at the side connected to the innerwing intake.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics available at the moment.

From what I have seen the safari snorkel requires the airbox to be moved over but I am not sure that is possible with my air flow meter where it is...

Hi Mark i think there are two models for the disco the one for ABS has a pipe the that comes around the side of the filter box and enters on the side next to the engine but the non abs one goes straight in next to the inner wing if you have to move the airflow meter over its not much of a job to modify the bracket and the pipework will be ok.

P38 V8 airbox may work as they are in a similar position but the

'air in' inlet is at the side connected to the innerwing intake.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics available at the moment.

I used the standard air box from a 300 Disco & a side air intake that goes through the inner wing...from a P38. It needs matching with rivets & silicone etc...but the end job is neat and tidy.

Yellow top Battery and airbox trumpet removed.

Travelling at the moment...hence no piccies.

S.