Engine mounts on serie 3 chassis

Kim Horsevad

Hi!

Before I send my serie 3 88inch chassis off to galvanizing I have to questions I would be very gratefull if someone can provide me a definate answer for:

1: Are the chassis parts of the engine mounts for the 2,25 litre diesel engine is the same as for the 2,5 litre naturally aspirated diesel engine?

2: Can a 2,5 litre naturally aspirated diesel engine be bolted to the series 3 gearbox?

1 Think so : you can swap the engine mounts over if necessary

2 Ditto: though you may have to swap the flywheel housing

I'm not 100% certain that the injection pump on the 2.5 will clear the battery box holder though.

No doubt someone who has done it will be along shortly.

1. No, RHS chassis mount on a SIII is a long(ish) arm. This has to be chopped off and a short angled mount welded to the chassis (a la 90/110) to match the engine mount of the 2.5NAD. The 2.5NAD has a long RHS mount to reach under the injection pump.
    I don't have photo's to hand from fitting a 2.5NAD in a mate's SIII petrol, but have a look at the mount arrangement for a 2.5 P/NAD/TD/200Tdi and the type of chassis mounts will be obvious. A 2.25 engine could be fitted using 2.5 engine mounts. Engime mounts were the standard 90/110 round rubber jobs.
    Weld on the new chassis mounts before galvanising. If needs be, there is a new jig built SIII chassis outside with 2.5NAD mounts that I could measure later today.
  2. 2.5NAD bolts directly to the SIII bell housing. The holes in the bell housing have to be opened out to M10 as the 2.25 uses 3/8 inch (~9.5mm IIRC) studs.
  3. We used a 2.5/200Tdi clutch cover with a Series pressure plate, SIII release bearing and fitted a new spigot bush while in there.
  4. Although beyond your original question, we used a 2.25D exhaust manifold and downpipe to keep to standard parts. Some say it may be a bit restrictive, but it works fine and the vehicle (88") is fairly lively.