Defender PTO

Hi all, I am trying to get my head around a rear PTO problem.

I would like to tow a hydraulic gang mower behind a defender 90 (200 tdi). The mower is usually powered via a tractor rear PTO and needs to be driven by a tractor that is 70hp @ 550rpm.

Anyone got any experience with fitting a rear PTO to a defender? Can this be done or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks, Matt

Hi all, I am trying to get my head around a rear PTO problem.

I would like to tow a hydraulic gang mower behind a defender 90 (200 tdi). The mower is usually powered via a tractor rear PTO and needs to be driven by a tractor that is 70hp @ 550rpm.

Anyone got any experience with fitting a rear PTO to a defender? Can this be done or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks, Matt

Model and year of defender?

Not sure about shaft routing but you can certainly get PTO's, there are drop-type which drive a shaft for a mechanical winch on the front, or backwards facing which are smaller, drive directly out of the PTO port on the rear of the LT230 and usually have a hydraulic pump bolted to them to drive a winch or other equipment (a lot of electricity board 110's have these).

Going rate for the rear-facing PTO's is ~£250 on ebay or ~£500 with the complete H14W winch setup. Drop-PTO's are a bit cheaper, I paid £50 for one once but that's not the norm.

theres a 1991 90 in the mid devon area with a PTO shaft fitted to the back

other than the hole in the rear cross member i can't see there being a problem

( if you can find one)

the other option is to find ther rear clutch for the transfer box then fit a hyd pump big anuff to run your mowers then just have it on quick conecters for using the land rover on it's own

A rear PTO kit was available for the 90 (similar to the Series IIA/III) to give a 550rpm output at the rear crossmember. 70HP is a fair bit of power though. IIRC, the Series PTO was limited to ~20HP and I suspect the Defender item would be much the same. Superwinch (ex Fairey Eng) should be able to advise.

You could probably use a Series rear-mounted setup with the Defender PTO, from memory they use a standard Land Rover style propshaft to connect so it should be doable. You might even be able to use the hydro-style PTO, which are more easily found, minus the pump, with a bit of work.

Thanks for your answers guys. I thought it was possible but needed to know the output. 550rpm is just what I am looking for. Any ideas on where I can find more information on this kit?

Thanks,

Matt

Guest diesel_jim

The LT230 PTO unit:

post-130-1216816555_thumb.jpg

you could probably get the shaft made up from an agricultural or propshaft place, then an agricultural place for the 6 spline shaft out the back.

RPM will be dependant on gear, the PTO shaft will be rotating at whatever speed the output shaft of the gearbox is, always directly related to wheel speed.

The hydraulic option would be more complex but with the right combination, and a flow control valve, you could regulate the speed to 550rpm regardless of what the PTO was doing. Plus you could run other stuff from a spare output, my H14W setup came with a free 110v generator :blink:

Just an aside here to your interesting idea - if the gang mower is normally tractor driven aren't you going to need a 3 point linkage on the back of the LR as well as a pto? Any ideas on how you might do the linkage?

Just an aside here to your interesting idea - if the gang mower is normally tractor driven aren't you going to need a 3 point linkage on the back of the LR as well as a pto? Any ideas on how you might do the linkage?

Gang mowers are normally trailer mounted and pulled on the draw bar rather than 3pl of a tractor. To see 3pl on a Landy search for the Agrover,