I need a good digital camera for website update

carl hurst

As long as you stick to the quality names you can't go too far wrong, certainly into SLR territory the issues of carp lenses on the cheaper options are less of an issue. In my limited experience, Canon stuff is tough as old boots.

Ignore digital zoom, it loses quality, you want the most optical (lens) zoom you can get. I turn digital zoom off on every piece of equipment I use.

Ignore digital zoom, it loses quality, you want the most optical (lens) zoom you can get. I turn digital zoom off on every piece of equipment I use.

That's always been necessary in the past, but the IXUS 80 which is image stabilised and has something like a gazillion megapixels and takes amazing photos on digital zoom- impossible to tell from the optical zoom!

That's always been necessary in the past, but the IXUS 80 which is image stabilised and has something like a gazillion megapixels and takes amazing photos on digital zoom- impossible to tell from the optical zoom!

That's not really relevant - digital zoom will always lose quality because you are taking, for example, a 10 megapixel image, using the middle 5 megapixels of it and blowing it up bigger then guessing what's in the gaps. No matter how smart you are at interpolating the stuff in the gaps, it will never be as good as if you'd been able to optically zoom the lens in to that middle bit and take it at full 10mp size. You can't get something for nothing.

I am in need of a digital slr camera,nothing to flashy or expensive as budget is low needs to be a digital SLR so can swap lenses and its just to take some photos so i can put them on my website as it needs desperatly updating,

Thanks,

Carl.

Carl, 'desperately updating' I'm afraid doesn't describe it ;) ;) :blink: :blink:

I have a Nikon D40, but I'm afraid as good as it is it (and it's brill with a Sigma 50-200 mm hsm lens - PM me for info if you need it) it couldn't resurrect that site.......

Carl, 'desperately updating' I'm afraid doesn't describe it ;) ;) :blink: :blink:

I have a Nikon D40, but I'm afraid as good as it is it (and it's brill with a Sigma 50-200 mm hsm lens - PM me for info if you need it) it couldn't resurrect that site.......

PM you to discus camera or my great website :P:P:lol::lol:

Carl.

Carl.You are aware that the cash back offer is only in the form of voiuchers. Well mine was. You have to pay quite a lot to get much money back.

Do check before you buy.

mike

Hi Mike

Current Nikon cashback is from Nikon direct and in form of a cheque by post. I bought a Nikon D60 in June and a week after sending cashback and warranty form in, the 60 pound cheque arrived.

Cheers

Steve

If you are going to throw your camera around get some body armour for it. Helps keep the worse off the knocks/mud off the body. Not sure if they exist for all cameras, they certainly do for a Canon 30D and 400D

For the lens get a UV filter. Better to smack a relatively cheap filter then the lens. Guess who had to clean broken filter off the front of one of his lenses yesterday?

Regards

Brendan

Jessops are not the cheapest option!!!

...but they always used to price match? Find the best deal on the internet then take it to Jessops and get your hands on the camera the same day ;)

UV filter I agree is a very useful thing. Polerising filter is the other one that never leaves the camera case - great for taking off the reflections in water and bringing out the colours in strong sunlight B)

...but they always used to price match? Find the best deal on the internet then take it to Jessops and get your hands on the camera the same day ;)

UV filter I agree is a very useful thing. Polerising filter is the other one that never leaves the camera case - great for taking off the reflections in water and bringing out the colours in strong sunlight B)

I agree there Jen. At least if something goes wrong you can talk to a person.

My 20D had two faults in Namibia while still under warrenty. I wasn't home until the warrenty ran out. Jessops had my camera repaired under warrenty.

I use a UV filter on all my lenses except the two long telephoto. Well with the deep lens hood and a cover I've not had a problem.

Have you tried a skylight filter instead of a UV on a didital camera. Does it do funny things to the finished picture as it does to professional slide film I wonder ?

mike

The nikon D40 and D60 seem to be popular so i will start to shop arround,you will know when i have it as the web site will start to improve,

Carl.

I purchased a D80 last year - very impressed. Don't think your'l go wrong with a Nikon.

Good luck

Lee

No ones mentioned Fuji I went for a Fuji Fine Pix S7000 a week later thay brought out the S9000 both dam hot camaras and Fuji win loads of the top digital camara awards over canon or nikon etc.

Those fuji's arent DSLR's!

Hi Carl, in the absence of a response to the PM I sent you I've posted the info. I sent here,......sorry you haven't had the chance or opportunity to reply..

Hi Carl,

I have a Nikon D40 (not the D40x) and I am very happy with it. Only 6 mp (the D40x is 10mp) but 6mp is more than enough, particularly if you are only going to need pics for your web site.

I have had a previous bad experience with a digital SLR that involved getting dust on the sensor (this occurred after a trip to Paris involving a lot of lens swapping exposing the camera interior to dust.)

Having decide a couple of years later to go back to a Dslr I decided I needed a 'one size fits all lens' - thus negating the need to keep changing lenses and exposing the interior to dust. The D40, the D40x and the D60 need a 'special' lens with a Hypersonic Motor (designated HSM).

You can get genuine Nikon ones but they are way too expensive, after a bit of chew I sourced an alternative here:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-sigma-le...5-6-3-dc-os.htm

It cost the same as the camera at £280 but well worth it, I now have a lens totally suitable for 99% of the shots I take, as for the other 1% I don't bother, the down side is that the lens weighs way more then the body and as a result upsets the balance when it is hung around your neck... feels great in your hand though.

Only one last thing to add - if the pictures are for your web site (and this has been said before) why not just a good quality, compact point and shoot, you'll go a long way to beat a digital Ixus from Canon.

Hope all this helps,

Hi Carl, in the absence of a response to the PM I sent you I've posted the info. I sent here,......sorry you haven't had the chance or opportunity to reply..

Hi Carl,

I have a Nikon D40 (not the D40x) and I am very happy with it. Only 6 mp (the D40x is 10mp) but 6mp is more than enough, particularly if you are only going to need pics for your web site.

I have had a previous bad experience with a digital SLR that involved getting dust on the sensor (this occurred after a trip to Paris involving a lot of lens swapping exposing the camera interior to dust.)

Having decide a couple of years later to go back to a Dslr I decided I needed a 'one size fits all lens' - thus negating the need to keep changing lenses and exposing the interior to dust. The D40, the D40x and the D60 need a 'special' lens with a Hypersonic Motor (designated HSM).

You can get genuine Nikon ones but they are way too expensive, after a bit of chew I sourced an alternative here:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-sigma-le...5-6-3-dc-os.htm

It cost the same as the camera at £280 but well worth it, I now have a lens totally suitable for 99% of the shots I take, as for the other 1% I don't bother, the down side is that the lens weighs way more then the body and as a result upsets the balance when it is hung around your neck... feels great in your hand though.

Only one last thing to add - if the pictures are for your web site (and this has been said before) why not just a good quality, compact point and shoot, you'll go a long way to beat a digital Ixus from Canon.

Hope all this helps,

Hello,

I got the pm but got side tracked ad forgot to reply (sorry),I have listend (or read) what has been said and will go shopping around to see what deals i can get,my photos are taken with my phone that has 5m pixles but need something proper,

Carl.

A word of warning Carl from what you said above - megapixels are not everything, i can point you at a 3mp camera that would wipe the floor with any and every compact 6/8/10/12mp camera out there. Its a marketing numbers game and there is a lot to be said for a decent quality sensor (not measured in mp), decent processing algorithms, decent lenses and many other factors so dont be too fooled by the shop salesman saying that just cos its got 10mp it must be better - its simply not true :)

Good advice from smo there - and I'd suggest that unless you need the manual control offered by a DSLR (i.e not just using it in auto or program mode) it may be overkill for website photography. Decent quality prime lenses aren't exactly cheap either (ETA: just noticed it wasn't you who doesn't like zooms - it was mmgemini!).

The Fujis mentioned above are excellent cameras for the money - I have an old Fuji S5600 which I still occasionally use in preference to my D80 because it's lightweight, not precious and pretty versatile with its 10x zoom. Another benefit is that it takes much smaller filters than a DSLR, which makes a big difference price-wise when you're buying things like circular polarisers.

I don't want to start a Canon, Nikon war. Or a Leica, CONTAX one.....

I have a picture that I took in the Central Kalihari Game Reserve. It's a different viewpoint and perspective to the othe pictures that were taken. I just placed the camera on the ground and pressed to button.

The Nikon user wouldn't do that in case of dust.

When I came home I mentioned this to my daughter.

Nikons don't like dust she told me.

Would a Nikon user care to comment ?

mike