Very quick (silly) wheel related question....

Se7enUp

What the above said (and with due deference to Mr Murphy) - there's a cone on the inner edge of the alloy nut so they fit both. This was so LR could sell the Disco with alloys and a steel spare, and I have the same setup on my Ninety.

They look a little odd but quite safe for road use.

have a look online for wheel nuts... see if there is any reference to different nuts for different wheels other than the profiles, threads and lengths.

the steel of a wheel bolt is high tensile and standard material. so as long as the bolt profile is correct and the bolt length is ok then you can use it. the nuts are often treated... zinc or chrome surface finish.

What the above said (and with due deference to Mr Murphy) - there's a cone on the inner edge of the alloy nut so they fit both. This was so LR could sell the Disco with alloys and a steel spare, and I have the same setup on my Ninety.

They look a little odd but quite safe for road use.

There are (at least) 2 types of alloy nuts, one with a long conical edge and one with a much shorter, rounded edge. I would only use the long conical type (as on P38a's) for steel rims.

I certainly wouldnt. not in the long run anyway

using softer alloy wheel nuts on steel wheels is a big nono. should only be temporary eg with spare wheel, and limited speed and mileage.

this is because you just cant get the nuts as tight, and doing them up on the steels deforms them slightly. when used with the alloy wheels, as said, they grip in an entirely different way. the loading is spread over a number of surfaces.

do it right and get some steel nuts. theyre hardly expensive :)

As long as the alloy wheel nuts are not the older style which didn't have the taper or the chrome cap. The older alloy nuts had a flat end which is not suitable for steel wheels.

Which are the only ones I know about and have :( Gap in knowledge duly filled ;) Certainly as I said earlier don't use these on steel wheels.

Turbo, your deference is duly noted ;)

Mo

I certainly wouldnt. not in the long run anyway

using softer alloy wheel nuts on steel wheels is a big nono. should only be temporary eg with spare wheel, and limited speed and mileage.

this is because you just cant get the nuts as tight, and doing them up on the steels deforms them slightly. when used with the alloy wheels, as said, they grip in an entirely different way. the loading is spread over a number of surfaces.

do it right and get some steel nuts. theyre hardly expensive :)

You are mistaken sir. Both the wheel nuts for the steel wheels and the wheel nuts for the alloy wheels are made of steel.

You are mistaken sir. Both the wheel nuts for the steel wheels and the wheel nuts for the alloy wheels are made of steel.

Correct! Wheel nuts are made from high tensile steel! They have to fulfill a minimum standard to be road worthy... probably a BS in the UK, but certainly TUV in Germany.