Breaking through snow to open a trail in July

jimfoo

With 100 degree F temps down in the city, there was still a lot of snow in the mountains this year. With our club trail work day scheduled for this Saturday, a couple of us decided we better drive over and see exactly what the trail looked like. So we drove up 12,000'+ Red Cone, went to Radical Hill, our adopted trail, then went down the Middle Fork of the Swan and up over Georgia Pass. It was about an 11 hour day of driving. This is in Colorado by the way. I like looking at the different trails and terrain in other parts of the world, so I figure you probably do too. There are a lot more pics here, but they have no comments.

PICT2474.JPG

Red Cone was snow free, and in fairly good shape.

PICT2479.JPG

I saw a couple Ptarmigan? near the top.

PICT2481.JPG

Here is looking down at Webster from Red Cone. Everywhere you looked, there was a lot more snow on all the mountains than previous years.

PICT2487.JPG

From the top, Webster doesn't look that bad.

PICT2488.JPG

From the other side however, you can see the huge amount of snow still blocking the road.

PICT2491.JPG

Starting up Radical.

PICT2498.JPG

PICT2500.JPG

Of course we ran into goats before too long.

PICT2503.JPG

Then the snow. Dave got stuck once, but once we aired down a lot more, we both made it over with minimum problems. He ran 8 psi, and I ran 12 with my lighter vehicle.

PICT2507.JPG

PICT2510.JPG

Neither of the other patches of snow were problems.

PICT2519.JPG

A huge snow cornice, probably 50 feet wide and 75 or more feet deep. I have never seen snow like this on the side of this trail.

PICT2521.JPG

Snow by the cabin on the Middle Fork, still very deep, and going across the trail.

PICT2522.JPG

Snow, about 40' long. We dug a deep trench on the uphill side, strapped the vehicles together with me on the dirt, and crossed. At the very end, he slid downhill a little, but his front was on the dirt by then, so he made it across ok. I made it without problems. I could see big problems trying to go up it.

PICT2524.JPG

Some Nebraska ATV riders helped us dig. Here is the second snow patch , the last, blocking the trail. The ones on the downhill side, a different group, turned around. After this, we made it all the way over Georgia Pass without problems.

Also there is a video of driving across the snow on Radical hill here.

Jim, those pics are amazing B) Thanks for posting them. Looks like you had a great day.

We're heading down to the French/Italian Alps again at the end of August so I'll be sure to post some pics from there. If everyone does the same we should be able to see trails from all over the world :)

You could always fly over, catch a ride and help us work on the trail on Saturday, then fly back. :P

Hi Jim,

I'll fly over again but not before September, see you in Moab?

B)

We're heading down to the French/Italian Alps again at the end of August

Where exactly?

I'll leave to Val Susa tomorrow evening :D

sounds like there's more snow than last years and it's blocking some trails.

We'll check it out...

Oh yes, I'll be in Moab! :D

Hi Jim,

I'll fly over again but not before September, see you in Moab?

B)

Nice pics Jim.

I've driven that trail myself on a couple of occasions and pics can never portray just how steep those climbs are. And more importantly, just how far down you'll fall if you get it wrong!

Isn't that the truth! :o

Where exactly?

I'll leave to Val Susa tomorrow evening

The 'planning meetings' on the 3rd August, which is kinda funny as I don't think we've ever had a plan before! :lol:

Have an excellent time, let us know if you find anything that's fantastic :)

Zuz - will do B) Quit work and come with us, you know you want to... I think Ryan's already got a ferry ticket with your car on it ;):lol:

Jim - :lol: that would be superb! We're certainly planning another trip out around your area so hopefully we'll get to see you again :)

The 'planning meetings' on the 3rd August, which is kinda funny as I don't think we've ever had a plan before! :lol:

Have an excellent time, let us know if you find anything that's fantastic :)

Ach I'll only have a weekend of it :(

Anything fantastic...uhm...well I look forward to finding more snow than last time (sorry for the temporary hijack Jim!)

:ph34r:

gallery_76_56_7258.jpg

gallery_76_56_2052.jpg