Series III electric radiator-fan

Debs.

Just wanted to share my most recent Landy modification:

I`ve just fitted an electric cooling fan to my 88" Series III: I got fed up with the constant noise and (doubtless) waste of fuel.

I removed the original cowl, shroud and rigid fan; replacing the fan hub with a small circular steel plate to reinforce the rather flexible pressed pulley (waterpump mounted) centre.

For the electric 'pusher-fan': by sheer chance, I struck upon an 'aircon fan' (single, front mounted) out of a 2 litre (4 cyl) Vauxhall/Opel Omega whose substantial rectangular mounting frame has a thick rubber edge-gasket and is exactly the correct size (when fitted with it`s longer aspect vertical) to fit between the front chassis cross member and the radiator`s upper support.

The Omega`s fan is designed to work as a pusher and gives excellent cooling flow through the Series III radiator.

Having the good fortune to find this fan of such perfect proportions for the job, made installation really easy; though I did have to remove the radiator temorarily to get the fan into place.

I`ve connected the new fan, using an adjustable fan controller and made dashboard provision for simple 'switched' manual override....all protected by a 30A fuse to handle the inrush current, as the running current I measure as less than 20A.

The engine is much quieter now without it`s perpetual, belt-driven 'tornado'. :D

post-9870-1216839156_thumb.jpg

Debs,

a very well built cowl! ;)

You really should do away with the 30Amp fuse and wire in a 30 or 40Amp relay. The power supply to the relay is where you can run a smaller 10Amp fuse.

here is my diagram to the electrical fan I installed a few years ago.

Elec.fanDiag.jpg

Cheers,

Todd.

Just wanted to share my most recent Landy modification:

I`ve just fitted an electric cooling fan to my 88" Series III: I got fed up with the constant noise and (doubtless) waste of fuel.

I removed the original cowl, shroud and rigid fan; replacing the fan hub with a small circular steel plate to reinforce the rather flexible pressed pulley (waterpump mounted) centre.

For the electric 'pusher-fan': by sheer chance, I struck upon an 'aircon fan' (single, front mounted) out of a 2 litre (4 cyl) Vauxhall/Opel Omega whose substantial rectangular mounting frame has a thick rubber edge-gasket and is exactly the correct size (when fitted with it`s longer aspect vertical) to fit between the front chassis cross member and the radiator`s upper support.

The Omega`s fan is designed to work as a pusher and gives excellent cooling flow through the Series III radiator.

Having the good fortune to find this fan of such perfect proportions for the job, made installation really easy; though I did have to remove the radiator temorarily to get the fan into place.

I`ve connected the new fan, using an adjustable fan controller and made dashboard provision for simple 'switched' manual override....all protected by a 30A fuse to handle the inrush current, as the running current I measure as less than 20A.

The engine is much quieter now without it`s perpetual, belt-driven 'tornado'. :D

post-9870-1216839156_thumb.jpg

That looks like a great install, can I ask a question in this thread instead of starting a new one? I was trying to install a mondeo pull fan behind the radiator but either someone has installed a larger rad at some point or I have a non standard water pump (as it has 3 outlets, one of which is blanked off) because I only have 25mm clearance and the fan does not fit :angry: So onto my question, is there anything to stop me mounting the fan in front of the rad but turned over to make it a push fan? or am I safer selling this one on fleabay and buying a proper push fan?

(First landrover, frustrating but loads of fun - Just for info 1973 Series 3 with 5 bearing engine with metal fan at some point)

Sounds like its worth trying. The further the fan is away from the radiator the less it will force air through. But, it will be runnning a lot faster than the engine fan at tickover and still nearer to the radiator, but, it wont be 'washing' air over the engine in the way that an engine mounted fan does so give it a go.

you should be able to use the fan, of course the biggest advantage of the fan is fuel saving and extra power, but the fan also runs faster than the engine fan at tickover and when moving, you've got the fan and ram air through the radiator, so they do just as good if not better job of cooling than the original. I've got a vauxhall cavalier fan on a home made mount on my series 3 and it does a great job of cooling the engine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took Debs idea and applied it to a my military 109.

Bit more involved as it has a large oil cooler in front of the radiator which leaves just 3mm clearance between fan hub and grill.

Aside from that the Omega fan fits perfectly as Debs said. Performance is excellent.

And it's a Bosch and therefore better than a Kenlowe :P

f2.jpg

f1.jpg