Using a 91 steering box on a 83 RR

RR370

I finallly fitted the 91 RR steering box to my Costa Rican 83 RR. There are some differences to the box but in the end it bolts up. The problem was the pipe fittings and sizes. The 83 is compression fitting and the 91 has an O ring type fitting. Solution would be the use the fluid holder/pump metal ends from the 83 and the box pipes form the 91 and have new rubber piping made to put both years fitting together. Now try to explain that in Spanish! plus I didn't have the 91 fittings. In the end I used a few reducers and adapters to go from an O seal to compression fitting. I fitted everything, filled with fluid and all worked well.

Another quick fix was for the gauges which worked but the needldes had curled up in the heat. I used white thin plastic an put a small fold down it's length then glued it over the old needle. Looks like the original.

I fitted a mechical oil pressure gauge instead of the electric one which was defective.

Next is to replace the Tie rods and swivel seals.

You should work with Subaru's they are even better! The engines swap parts over as do the suspesion.

I tried to swap the tie rods but the parts shop supplied me with internal tread rods were as mine are external. I thought all classic RR were the external type. External meaning you can see the tread. mmmm now I have to wait until next month to fit them.

Guest diesel_jim
You should work with Subaru's they are even better! The engines swap parts over as do the suspesion.

I've always fancied getting a subaru pickup, like the green ones that farmers always used, paint it up like the old ('80s) subaru "brat" desert racer, and stuff in an imprezza engine and gearbox.

would be good for a larrf. :lol:

I rally a Subaru Legacy and I will say off road these cars ar fast and tough. So back to the RR. I drove it last night and although no play now it still feels vague.....so I'm I asking to much of the steering feel? I know this not a rack and pinion set up but surely the feel is better?? The self centering is slow also. I still have to replace the tie rods/track control arms and the rubber flexible joint. So how does a RR feel in the steering? Another thing is this box leaks more than the other so I have to get new seals.....mmmmmm should have bought a used Subaru.....Ha ha ha

So I contacted the previous owner of the box I bought. I said it did not leak. He said to get the air out the system. I see a bleed valve . What's the best way to bleed the box? could I be making to much pressure forcing the fluid past the seals? what if the return from the box to the fluid container hole is to small with my fittings would this build up extra pressure? just a thought