Help with stripping down Series IIa rear Axle

TonkaIIa

Hi all,

I'm currently stripping down my rear axle (Rover type unit) to make sure all is well. The bearings seem fine along with all the rest. I've just ordered all new gaskets for replacing them before I start to rebuild it, but whilst reading my "Haynes & Land Rover workshop manual" they are stating there is two differnet types of hubs "Grease" & "Oil" filled.

Whilst stripping this down, only old oil came out and not much either :unsure:

I've found on the "Driving member" a philips head screw, would I be right in saying that this is the oil type hub?

post-8139-1216925311_thumb.jpg

If this is a oil type, what type of oil & how much is required to be installed?

I would also like to install a new "Oil seal for inner bearing", is it easy as just remove it from the rear hub without touching the hub bearing inner?

post-8139-1216925622_thumb.jpg

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

To remove the seal, try and lever it out with a sturdy screwdriver. Poke it through the hole in the middle and lever off the hub. If its stubborn, you can try and punch one edge away from the hub and then lever it out. The important bit is not to gouge the face of the hub that the seal locates on.

Don't worry too much about touching the bearing, its got some room to move about while it is not fixed on the shaft.

If the bearings have been starved of oil, I'd take them out and give them a really good clean then check them closely for damage.

Hi all,

I'm currently stripping down my rear axle (Rover type unit) to make sure all is well. The bearings seem fine along with all the rest. I've just ordered all new gaskets for replacing them before I start to rebuild it, but whilst reading my "Haynes & Land Rover workshop manual" they are stating there is two differnet types of hubs "Grease" & "Oil" filled.

Whilst stripping this down, only old oil came out and not much either :unsure:

I've found on the "Driving member" a philips head screw, would I be right in saying that this is the oil type hub?

If this is a oil type, what type of oil & how much is required to be installed?

They are all oil filled as they get their oil from the diff, maybe with the exception of later Ser III, but we never got those here. The IIA doesn't have an axle seal, so oil flows freely. I put a little grease on the cleaned bearings and new seal, but they don't need much. Just make sure the diff is full.