I would like to buy a Freelander

Chriso

Hi All,

I currently run a Disco 1 but am considering a Freelander as my next car. Would you be kind enough to answer some noobie questions?

Do they all have traction control, or is it spec dependent?

Which model year did LR change the differential ratios to be more closely matched front and rear? Did this modification make life easier for the drivetrain?

People rave about the BMW TD4, but what about the earlier diesel, any specific issues?

Can I fit cup holders to pre-facelift models? (kids and trips!)

Thank you in anticipation.

Chris.

Would you be kind enough to answer some noobie questions?

Yes.

Do they all have traction control, or is it spec dependent?

Some of the early base models didn't have ABS / HDC / TC. The easy way to tell is by looking for an HDC switch. If it has one, at also has TC (both use the ABS system).

Which model year did LR change the differential ratios to be more closely matched front and rear? Did this modification make life easier for the drivetrain?

Not sure, certainly by 2000 if not sooner. Changing the early rear diff certainly seemed to mitigate the early appetitie of Freelanders for tyres and IRDs, though seized VCUs are the worst of the latter.

People rave about the BMW TD4, but what about the earlier diesel, any specific issues?

Though not as exciting as the TD4 (a less refined 96bhp vs a more modern 110bhp), the Rover L-series has a reputation for longevity and being bombproof. It was also used in exotic cars such as the Montego, and I can remember the local minicab firm having Montegos with 250-300,000 miles on the clock. If you do come across problems, there are some simple fixes on the highly regarded www.tuning-diesels.com website.

Can I fit cup holders to pre-facelift models?

Yes

(kids and trips!)

Leave 'em behind. You'll enjoy the trip more.

Welcome to the forum. The Freelander has had its fair sahre of problems in the past, mostly focussed on the 1.8 petrol engine and early transmission, but a a good diesel is as fine a car as a man could want. :blink::huh::unsure::P

Cheers

Blippie